All Things Mk5 > Mk5 General Area
warning ...wheel spacers
jamiekip:
--- Quote from: RedRobin on April 20, 2009, 06:55:53 pm ---^^^^
Of course it's expensive to regularly replace them and that's why motorsport is expensive because parts get regularly replaced before they fail.
The risk may indeed be small, but it's definitely a risk, otherwise this thread wouldn't exist.
It's up to the individual what risks they are happy to take.
--- End quote ---
Personally, I think the risk is what you buy. As always, you get what you pay for!
I've seen all sorts of spacers advertised and some look pretty cheap.
As mentioned, the H&Rs seem a sound engineered piece of kit adn have not caused me any problems.
There is a risk with any modified part - remaps, exhausts, intakes etc, etc, etc
Greeners:
What risk? :confused:
The damage to the OP's spacer wouldn't have made any difference other than maybe a small vibration at high speed! Let's not get too over excited here. The wheel bolts are more than capable of keeping them in place, they have no where to go! I think the point that needs to be made he is more to do with a failure of one manufacturers part and not to now label all spacers risky/dangerous! :confused:
gazbutS3:
^^^^^I agree^^^^^
QD MBE:
Nathan, I agree.
The OP spacers may not have been made of fairly durable material. An Audi S3 (correct me if I am wrong) has Alloy wishbones. Many aircraft have alloy frames. Longerons and stringers, which are designed to flex with load, it is part of the way Loads are transferred.
I think that the material spec used in the Op post, may have been an inferior. An alloy wheel is designed to deform slightly, to absorb loadings that are not absorbed by the tyre. But when something you fit is allowed to flex at a lower stress level, ie the spacer, then this will happen.
The load will always find the easiet and path of least resistance. when you fit spacers you increase the leverage loads invoalved at the whell bearing, something you can not get away from, but be careful and inspect your spacers when you remove the wheels.
All it takes is a stress raiser be machined into the spacer profile, and this will happen. by this i mean the inner face is machined with a very sharp tool, all the way to the horizintal face of the spigot, this will creat a very sharp corner, and an immediate path for the loads to create havoc.
But i still think that the thin wall has allowed flex, and a lower durability material has fractured.
matt a:
FK are very hit and miss with the quality of their products, I'd trust H&R or Eibach, but never FK.
Navigation
[0] Message Index
[#] Next page
[*] Previous page
Go to full version