All Things Mk5 > Mk5 General Area
warning ...wheel spacers
QD MBE:
Buy the best you can afford. Plain and simple. and inspect at a regular interval.
gazbutS3:
--- Quote from: stokeballoon on April 20, 2009, 08:05:12 pm ---Nathan, I agree.
The OP spacers may not have been made of fairly durable material. An Audi S3 (correct me if I am wrong) has Alloy wishbones. Many aircraft have alloy frames. Longerons and stringers, which are designed to flex with load, it is part of the way Loads are transferred.
I think that the material spec used in the Op post, may have been an inferior. An alloy wheel is designed to deform slightly, to absorb loadings that are not absorbed by the tyre. But when something you fit is allowed to flex at a lower stress level, ie the spacer, then this will happen.
The load will always find the easiet and path of least resistance. when you fit spacers you increase the leverage loads invoalved at the whell bearing, something you can not get away from, but be careful and inspect your spacers when you remove the wheels.
All it takes is a stress raiser be machined into the spacer profile, and this will happen. by this i mean the inner face is machined with a very sharp tool, all the way to the horizintal face of the spigot, this will creat a very sharp corner, and an immediate path for the loads to create havoc.
--- End quote ---
I noticed the difference in the radius at the foot of the spigot, like stoke points out that sharp radius, or complete lack of radius will create a potential weak spot, stoke will back me up here I'm sure, you never see a sharp edge like that on any aircraft structure, everything has a smooth radius to prevent this sort of thing
QD MBE:
A load path in an aircraft is designed to be a gradual transfer and sharing of load, ie no sudden load direction changes. Hence nice radius frames and fittings. The slightest damage caused by a slip with a spanner, a slight dent, a slight gouge with a screwdriver will afffect this path, and you have created a stress raiser and subsequent variation in load paths. Hence overloading of the material.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stress_concentration
ps Gaz I agree!
RedRobin:
....
The spacer is obviously a stress critical component and so it's essential to know you have chosen the best product and probably to include consideration of what brake kit you have fitted too.
jamiekip:
--- Quote from: gazbutS3 on April 20, 2009, 07:55:32 pm ---^^^^^I agree^^^^^
--- End quote ---
I agree too...
... I'm a fan of spacers... good for the stance of the car and I also notice a negative difference in cornering performance when ever I have removed them :happy2:
Robin - what have the brakes got to do with the purchasing decision?
Navigation
[0] Message Index
[#] Next page
[*] Previous page
Go to full version