Make a donation

Author Topic: Front wing rust warranty success!!  (Read 337096 times)

Offline jettamike

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
Re: Front wing rust warranty success!!
« Reply #975 on: October 13, 2015, 05:46:45 pm »
Finally got a response from VW to my rusty boot/bonnet/sills (and more worryingly i've now found rust where the rear door mounts to the body (hinged side).

They will pay 50% towards it all, however the cost of the bonnet and boot alone before paint is £700.......... I think I'll keep driving my rusty volkswagen as it is :(
I wouldn't be taking 50% off them mate I'd be fighting for them to do the lot for nothing, after all VW give there cars a 12yr anti corrosion warranty. I went into my local main dealer to see about getting my drivers wing done yesterday and it now booked in to have the wing replaced, new wing fitted and painted FOC .

I'm not sure what to say to them anymore. VW UK man would not budge from 50%. The price of the panels alone is eye watering without the added cost of spraying them.

Offline Daveyboy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 46
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #976 on: October 13, 2015, 05:54:50 pm »
Finally got a response from VW to my rusty boot/bonnet/sills (and more worryingly i've now found rust where the rear door mounts to the body (hinged side).

They will pay 50% towards it all, however the cost of the bonnet and boot alone before paint is £700.......... I think I'll keep driving my rusty volkswagen as it is :(
I wouldn't be taking 50% off them mate I'd be fighting for them to do the lot for nothing, after all VW give there cars a 12yr anti corrosion warranty. I went into my local main dealer to see about getting my drivers wing done yesterday and it now booked in to have the wing replaced, new wing fitted and painted FOC .

I'm not sure what to say to them anymore. VW UK man would not budge from 50%. The price of the panels alone is eye watering without the added cost of spraying them.
Was there any damage to the panels? I know they checked my wing for damage before they booked me in. But like I say they didn't have any problem after seeing it

Offline jettamike

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #977 on: October 13, 2015, 05:58:12 pm »

Was there any damage to the panels? I know they checked my wing for damage before they booked me in. But like I say they didn't have any problem after seeing it

No damage mate all paint thickness consistent (thin!) and they were happy nothing had been painted! Worst car I've owned for rust, and I had a fiesta XR2.... (With less rust!)

Offline Daveyboy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #978 on: October 13, 2015, 06:03:05 pm »
I'd argue with it. Maybes threaten them that you'll go down the legal action route. I'm not sure how far it will get you but if you've exhausted all other avenues you've got nothing to lose

Offline shail

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 32
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,99663.msg979899.html#msg979899
« Reply #979 on: October 13, 2015, 08:23:23 pm »
I had my paint thickness measured, photos taken, and was told that both wings will be replaced.  No arguments, no negotiations, no nothing.

They will ring me to organise a date for the repair. 

Offline jettamike

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #980 on: October 13, 2015, 09:41:20 pm »
I had my paint thickness measured, photos taken, and was told that both wings will be replaced.  No arguments, no negotiations, no nothing.

They will ring me to organise a date for the repair.

They do the wings no problem, but mine don't have any rust! It's just everywhere else, including around the mountings for the rear doors. Slightly concerned about that area!

Offline Tomble22

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #981 on: October 13, 2015, 09:48:44 pm »
Have an appointment with my local VW dealership tomorrow to look at my drivers side wing, hoping for a good result.

When I spoke to the service woman on the phone earlier this week she said the warranty was only 10 years, I said I had 3 documents in front of me which say it's 12 years, she then said we'll book you an appointment.

Interested with their initial stance tomorrow, will be pushing for 100%!

Offline shail

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 32
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,99663.msg979899.html#msg979899
« Reply #982 on: October 13, 2015, 10:57:44 pm »
I was ready for some negotiations, but didn't need them. 

All he did say was that VW won't pay for blending, but they charge £80+vat per wing to blend into doors.   He was totally honest and said red could be difficult to get 100%.  He said they would replace wings, I could then have a look at the match before I made the decsion to blend or not. 

Offline Daveyboy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #983 on: October 14, 2015, 05:00:25 am »
Red is a total c**t to get a perfect match

Offline Ditto

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #984 on: October 14, 2015, 10:39:57 am »
Just had my wings and sills repaired FOC from VW. As said, it's covered under the 12 year, so keep pushing. I think it depends on the dealer, but mine were very amicable. The cost they claim the repair totals is quite a surprise!

As said with the repair, they don't blend. I was told from various people (and the dealer bodyshop) that red is fairly easy to match - providing you've looked after the paint.. It's the metallics that are more difficult to match due to the flakes etc.

Having had the car back the panels match perfect to the doors (mine is red). The bumpers are slightly different but they always were and believe that most tornado red bumpers were a slight different shade than the metal, even from the factory.

Check that the bodyshop it's going to uses the latest technology, the VW dealer I used had 3M colour match where they use a tool to specifically match the colour of the car rather than just the paint code.

Will post some pictures up of the before/after if it helps.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 10:41:30 am by Ditto »

Offline Daveyboy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #985 on: October 14, 2015, 08:47:39 pm »
You will probably notice a colour difference in the dark under Street lights even if it looks perfect in the day light

Offline 902jamied

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #986 on: October 14, 2015, 09:40:38 pm »
Just got my wings done free of charge. Wouldn't do my sills tho. Decent job but again they done blend and candy white is hard to match.
Anyone from in or around Newcastle should go to benfield vw silver link. They didn't even think about it just put the job sheet through

Offline Ditto

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #987 on: October 14, 2015, 10:46:11 pm »
@902jamied what did they say about the sills? Do you mean you got yours blended?

Offline Tomble22

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #988 on: October 15, 2015, 06:55:32 am »
Have an appointment with my local VW dealership tomorrow to look at my drivers side wing, hoping for a good result.

When I spoke to the service woman on the phone earlier this week she said the warranty was only 10 years, I said I had 3 documents in front of me which say it's 12 years, she then said we'll book you an appointment.

Interested with their initial stance tomorrow, will be pushing for 100%!

Went to the appointment @ VW yesterday...the service chap was a complete arse, said about the 10 year limit, explained the difference between the 10 and 12 years perforation (like I was 5) and then said sorry we can't do anything. I then asked to speak to the manager and he "wasn't there"!!

Now going to go to VW direct and complain, just very poor all round!!

Offline 902jamied

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #989 on: October 15, 2015, 03:31:52 pm »
@902jamied what did they say about the sills? Do you mean you got yours blended?

No sorry. They don't do the sills for free. They don't blend the wings onto the doors either. Decent match tho.