Make a donation

Author Topic: Front wing rust warranty success!!  (Read 336174 times)

Saintsteve

Re: Front wing rust warranty success!!
« Reply #210 on: August 13, 2012, 04:40:18 pm »
ok rang local dealer. the guy seemed sound and said he had tried submitting my claim 5 times already. not sure if he was palming me off or whether he had genuine IT issues BUT

wings are getting sorted out for free :)

70/30 on the tailgate. wasnt budging from that as he said the gti was only 7 yrs old...

VW told me they'd only pay 70% on the tailgate originally but they paid 90% in the end - I ended up paying £140 for two new wings and a new tailgate, all painted, blended and looking splendid! :happy2:

:jumpmove:

Nice one! how did you get them upto 90%?

I was speaking to VWUK because they originally told me I'd have to pay 30% of everything which worked out at about £650 - I was mainly campaigning for the wings to be free tbh, but in the end they reduced the tailgate payment to 10% without me even asking... So I guess I'm just lucky   :innocent:  :grin:

:congrats:  :happy2:   well done  :smiley:

Offline shirre

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #211 on: August 13, 2012, 05:01:21 pm »
ok rang local dealer. the guy seemed sound and said he had tried submitting my claim 5 times already. not sure if he was palming me off or whether he had genuine IT issues BUT

70/30 on the tailgate. wasnt budging from that as he said the gti was only 7 yrs old...

VW told me they'd only pay 70% on the tailgate originally but they paid 90% in the end - I ended up paying £140 for two new wings and a new tailgate, all painted, blended and looking splendid! :happy2:

:jumpmove:

top result that!

bit bizare how their pricing works cos the guy i spoke to today said someone else had the same problem as me and had paid 250 - 270ish for his tailgate at 70/30 and so i would be looking to pay around the same.

if your 140 is 10% then id expect it to come out at 420 for 30% (providing it was the tailgate they charged you for) which is more than what they quoted to me.

sounds like a call to VW UK might be on its way soon though regardless :)

Offline shirre

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #212 on: August 13, 2012, 05:04:40 pm »

....Ah, good news of some progress: Free wings repair  :happy2:

I don't quite understand the "only 7 yrs old" resistance on the tailgate issue. If it's "only" 7 yrs old then that suggests that there's even less justification in the rust being acceptable. As I understand it, bodywork rust warranty on the Mk5 is 12 years.

However, reports from owners seem to be suggesting that VW consider the wings rust issue to be a design fault (rust resulting from the wings design including strips of foam which collect moisture). That's as may be but surely rust shouldn't occur within the 12 year period? Or is body warranty only 6 years?

[Thanks for the Thank You - It's always appreciated  :happy2:]

And a Warm Welcome to the forum!  :drinking:

looks like i pursued this at the right time considering some pain people have had with their wings!

hmmm yeah after reading em2vols post it seems they can be moved upto 90% for the tailgate after a bit of calm persuasion :)

Offline Vdub13799

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #213 on: August 13, 2012, 11:52:50 pm »
Tail gate and wings done completely free of charge and a courtesy car thrown in with my claim!! Keep putting pressure on them mate  :mad:

Offline jedi-knight83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 41
    • Cambridge Autogleam Detailing
« Reply #214 on: August 16, 2012, 09:36:57 am »
AT LAST...

VW Chelmsford have agreed 100% claim on my wings and bootlid.

Thanks to Nodz for pointing me in the right direction there.

They confirmed though that no blending will take place but TBH for me its not a huge issue as I still want to get the whole front end painted anyway so Depending on VWs quote I might pay for that or just get them to do the rust and when its back take it to my usual bodyshop where they can repaint everything anyway.

:drinking:
Golf GTI DSG "ED30 Tribute" - RTech: 254bhp / 323lbft | MK6 GTI DSG S.Wheel | MK6 GTI speedo | MK6 climate | RCD510DAB | Bluetooth | Milltek Cat back | H&R Springs & Rear ARB | WALK | 19" BBS CH | MK7R 340mm brakes - INFO

Offline Nodz

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 73
  • -Receive: 103
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,29264.0.html
« Reply #215 on: August 16, 2012, 06:18:21 pm »
No problem mate :happy2:

Offline dmac1969

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 21
    • Email
« Reply #216 on: August 19, 2012, 09:42:17 pm »
Mine goes in tomorrow for its wings , I dropped it off on Saturday , and got my courtesy car , they must have been out of base spec Polos or Foxes!  :happy2:

2005 Golf GTI 3 Door - Tornado Red. (2010 - 2012)

2008 Golf GTI 3 Door - Candy White , 18" Monza II's , Leather , Armrest , Rear Park sensors. (current car)

Offline brown-1234

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
    • Email
« Reply #217 on: August 19, 2012, 10:17:08 pm »
Any chance of someone emailing me the PDF to please ?

Jonathanrbrown@hotmail.com

Thanks

Offline Rachael

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 10
    • Email
« Reply #218 on: August 19, 2012, 10:18:45 pm »
Dmac thats a beauty! I always end up with 1.0 litre polos that couldn't pull fluff off a sheep

Offline dmac1969

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #219 on: August 19, 2012, 10:23:22 pm »
Dmac thats a beauty! I always end up with 1.0 litre polos that couldn't pull fluff off a sheep

Yeah she is eh? I have to say Western VW Edinburgh have always been good to me since I had the GTI! Ive only bought one car off them and yet I still get a £27K car for a week.  :happy2:

2008 Golf GTI 3 Door - Candy White , 18" Monza II's , Leather , Armrest , Rear Park sensors. (current car)

Offline Rachael

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #220 on: August 19, 2012, 10:31:43 pm »
You tempted to keep it  :wink:?!

I'd suggest taking my car there, but I think it's about 600 miles for me.... .

I've had 3 cars so far, a customers red 1.6 (don't ask), the sales woman's car for the day, and a 1 litre 60 plate polo. I'd love to end up with that for a week. I would definitely make up a problem for that beauty  :smiley:

Offline dmac1969

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #221 on: August 19, 2012, 10:36:17 pm »
You tempted to keep it  :wink:?!

I'd suggest taking my car there, but I think it's about 600 miles for me.... .

I've had 3 cars so far, a customers red 1.6 (don't ask), the sales woman's car for the day, and a 1 litre 60 plate polo. I'd love to end up with that for a week. I would definitely make up a problem for that beauty  :smiley:

I would be tempted if it was a manual , I'm not keen on DSG (yet!) Having said that , I hope it takes 4 years to do my wings!  :laugh:

Offline Rachael

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #222 on: August 19, 2012, 10:41:33 pm »
I think dsg would feel weird for me in terms of only two pedals.

In terms of power delivery are there any major differences?!

Offline dmac1969

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #223 on: August 19, 2012, 10:47:23 pm »
I think dsg would feel weird for me in terms of only two pedals.

In terms of power delivery are there any major differences?!

Ive had an Auto before (Mitsubishi Galant V6) so it doesnt take long for me to acclimatize to the 2 pedals , but yeah its the power delivery if you leave it in D that bothers me , youre always waiting for the kickdown to start , I mean its only fractions of a second but I know if I was in my car , I'd be in the correct gear before I put my foot down! You can get over that by changing manually with the steering wheel paddles or by knocking the stick over and using the + and - settings , kind of defeats the object of having an auto though IMHO. The good bit is at least you dont have to do the old 'clutch and throttle pedal dance' to keep the car stationary at an uphill junction!

Offline Rachael

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #224 on: August 19, 2012, 10:50:31 pm »
Oooo Mitsubishi v6, very nice   :happy2:

Yer true that. So stick to manual then?! Think I could look past the 2 pedals for that baby though...

Haha the pedal dance, and then the burnt clutch smell. I find handbrake easier lol. Unless ur in a Megane and then it's horrendous!