Make a donation

Author Topic: Manual or DSG?  (Read 7412 times)

Offline gadge

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Re: Manual or DSG?
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2009, 06:44:30 pm »
bugger! I must of test drove it wrong! I though DSG manual mode was when you selected 'S'. Doh

Offline Greeners

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2009, 06:45:50 pm »
Well having both a manual and a DSG I can see advantages to both. No matter what anyone says I feel far more in control in my manual but love the cruising ability of the DSG.

If I wanted a spirited drive I would choose the manual every time!  :happy2:

Depends what you want your car for!  :wink:

....Methinks that if you start doing what Hurdy and myself do and drive mostly in M-mode with the paddles in DSG, you'll grow to prefer it.

Running DSG in D the whole time is a complete waste imo.

I agree Red, but the fact it returns back to D mode after a few mins annoys the hell outta me! Then before you know it your back in 6th and you've got to flick 2-3 times to be back in the gear you want!  :chicken:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2009, 06:50:44 pm »

I agree Red, but the fact it returns back to D mode after a few mins annoys the hell outta me! Then before you know it your back in 6th and you've got to flick 2-3 times to be back in the gear you want!  :chicken:

....It'll only return back to D if you leave the floor stick in D. Pop the floor stick across to M and override it the other way if you prefer. You can quickly pop in and out and between all the modes when you get the feel of what everything does.

Perhaps I need to give you a demo.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2009, 06:52:16 pm »

I agree Red, but the fact it returns back to D mode after a few mins annoys the hell outta me! Then before you know it your back in 6th and you've got to flick 2-3 times to be back in the gear you want!  :chicken:

....It'll only return back to D if you leave the floor stick in D. Pop the floor stick across to M and override it the other way if you prefer. You can quickly pop in and out and between all the modes when you get the feel of what everything does.

Perhaps I need to give you a demo.

That would be usefull, thanks mate!  :wink:

Really don't want to get lazy and drive everywhere in D!  :chicken:

Offline gadge

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2009, 06:59:50 pm »
So basically, DSG is the only gearbox to have?

No plus sides to a manual gearbox?

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2009, 07:23:42 pm »

Re-read my post!  :wink:

There are merits to both but regardless I still prefer my manual car!  :happy2:

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2009, 07:30:11 pm »

i like my manual  :happy2:, thats a plus :signLOL:, cant think of many uspides of manual other than no DSG service cost

Offline gadge

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2009, 08:28:03 pm »
slightly off topic but do you think this is a good buy?
http://users.autoexposure.co.uk/details.cfm?Page=MainDescription&Account=AETA78608&VehicleID=AETV59066524

Thats the one i test drove. Alloys where in a bad way, but they said they where putting new ones on, plus paint work was terrible, swirled bady, but i can sort that.  I would only off £11,500 tho.

What you think?

Offline gadge

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2009, 08:31:29 pm »

Offline SteveTDCi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2009, 12:00:06 am »
mine is my first dsg and its one of the reasons why i'm swapping the a3 after just over 12 months, i used to like but over the past few months i've found it more and more annoying, the delay when pulling away is the main problem and sometimes the frustation in it not changing gear when I think it should -when in D, S is a waste of time with diesel and the manual mode isn't full manual on the diesel, so if i get a GTi it will be manual all the way

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2009, 10:17:38 am »
^^^^
@ SteveTDCi - What do you mean when you say "manual mode isn't full manual on the diesel"?

You may still prefer a conventional manual when you get a GTI but bear in mind that several DSG remaps will be available and those will help.

D is simply not about shifting when the driver thinks it should but when the engine/ECU thinks it should in order to maximise the economy - Once you realise this, your frustration should diminish.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline neg

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 7
  • gone old skool
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2009, 11:00:13 am »
Personally even driving in D mode can still be fun and not boring - once you get used to how it drives and changes you can get the box to do what you want in D mode too

Simply is a great all rounder

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2009, 11:31:07 am »
I used to be really anti DSG, mainly from my experiance with diesel DSG's.  After being in Hedge's little number a few times now I think DSG would be on my options list for a GTi / ED30.
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Ifti

« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2009, 01:23:05 pm »
Personally I think DSG is a must.
Ive only had my car about 2 months or so now, and love it. I'd never go back to manual unless I really had to!

Before, I used to have a manual car, and swore I would never touch an auto since it took the fun away from driving.
I thought long and hard before buying a DSG (didnt even test drive it!).

I love being able to cruise around in normal 'D' mode when in town etc. The fuel economy is also great when on a long run just in 'D'.
For the moment, Ive just been getting used to driving a slightly bigger car then I had before, so Ive mostly been in D. But now Im starting to try the manual mode with the paddles more and more, and its like a completely different driving experience.

I like to think of myself as being a responsible driver, so I dont whack it straight into 'S' and put my foot down!
As I said, Ive been getting used to the car in D. Im now starting to try the paddles an dget used to changing gears etc with normal driving - still in D since I have assistance if I forget to change down etc! TBH I mainly use the paddles to shift up for now, and am getting used to that first, so I keep it in D for now.

As I get used to it, I'll try driving completely in 'Manual' mode using the paddles. Once I get used to that I'll move it into 'S' with the paddles and give her a whirl  :wink: since for the moment Ive only really been using the kickdown feature when I want to move rapidly!

DSG is a great bit of kit. As people have said, if treated properly and serviced etc on time, I see no reason why it should fail. These boxes go through months of testing in extreme conditions by VW R&D. If they werent that reliable I dont think VW would release them and risk having their reputation tarnished!

A lot to get used to rather then driving in full 'D' all the time, and when you move onto driving with the paddles, its like a completely different experience all over again!

Hope I helped a little whatever your decision.  :wink:
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 01:25:08 pm by Ifti »

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2009, 01:25:07 pm »
If you are particularly worried about the delay when setting off then this may help quite a bit :wink:

http://www.sprintboosterusa.com/

Golf R gone.