Make a donation

Author Topic: Manual or DSG?  (Read 7387 times)

Offline SteveTDCi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Re: Manual or DSG?
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2009, 01:49:48 pm »
^^^^
@ SteveTDCi - What do you mean when you say "manual mode isn't full manual on the diesel"?

You may still prefer a conventional manual when you get a GTI but bear in mind that several DSG remaps will be available and those will help.

D is simply not about shifting when the driver thinks it should but when the engine/ECU thinks it should in order to maximise the economy - Once you realise this, your frustration should diminish.

If you knock it across to manual and hold the car to the red line it automatically changes up there is nothing you can do about it, ok its a diesel and there isn't always much point in redlining it but still i'd like to decide when to change, worse for me is when you go to pull away and there is a delay before you start to move and sometimes its a little jerky for my likeing, also its the one reason i am using to change the car, if I look for a golf gti but with dsg the wife won't release the funds !

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2009, 02:16:59 pm »

There's so little point driving to the red line as there's less power there.

So the main reason is that wifey has got you by the short 'n curlies!

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline SteveTDCi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2009, 04:45:44 pm »
nah, i'm just bored of both the A3 and DSG, but if i chose a Golf Gti with DSG then funding wouldn't be provided ... so i guess your riht :signLOL:

Offline neg

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 7
  • gone old skool
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2009, 05:59:03 pm »
Were looking at a Touran for the wife and I am very very tempted to go DSG on that - not really for the fun factor as much as with the GTI but just the fact that its easier and its a DSG - if it was the old school auto box I wouldnt even think about it

Offline pitch3110

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2009, 06:03:21 pm »
I have driven DSG in bro's TTS and it is a nice bit of kit. that there is no doubt.

Personally I like the throwing a lever business.

Traffic........yes i am sure DSG all the way.

Open road.........give me manual over DSG anytime.

But it is personal preference & we are all very different beasts.

ta
HIS (collected 12.10.09) - B8 A4 2.0TDI-143PS Multi Exec S-Line Saloon...Lovin' Lava, 19's, MMI & lots more
TOY - 2001 Westfield 2.1 SEW,172bhp gocart.
HERS - Edition 30 Golf GTI no:0602, 3dr, Steel Grey, Xenons, Comfort Pack & lots more...