All Things Mk5 > Mk5 General Area

Air Con & Fuel.....

<< < (2/6) > >>

JonnyG:
There was a post a while ago with someone complaining about low mpg

They were advised to try not using AC, heated seats etc 

I think there mpg went up by about +3mpg as a result   :happy2:

Ifti:
I thought heated seats and AC etc used battery power.
Why do they consume fuel as well?

BeezerDiesel:
The aircon is a mechanical unit driven by a belt, this it makes drag on the engine. The aircon blower is electric as are the heated seats and rear window/mirrors etc. If these draw a charge constantly they will be draining the battery which in turn will need extra juice from the alternator. The alternator like the aircon compressor is also driven by the engine.
Combined, that's a wee bit of fuel usage that's not going to the wheels.

Unscientific answer I know but you get the drift.

Ifti:
Yup I get it now, cheers  :wink:

winrya:
But you also have to consider that the fuel consumption increases by 10% with the windows open  :happy2: 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version