All Things Mk5 > Mk5 General Area

The search for lightweight alloys

<< < (3/14) > >>

Top Cat:
Sell me your brakes and by some 17in dynamags.  :laugh:

tony_danza:
Are you sure you've got your sums right?

Converting everything to kilos, as I find it easier to understand...

Your PR1.2s come in at 20.63kgs which is heavier than my Turinis @ 20.4kgs. I thought the PR1.2 is a lighter wheel? Granted, you may have heavier tyres, but I'd have expected sub-20kgs.

Volks are 6.67kgs for an 18x8. Knocking 9kgs (source Rimstock's website) off your PR1.2s combined weight means that with the same tyre your Volks will come in at 18.30kgs.

Rotating mass gives roughly a x4 effect, so that will give a total saving of 37.28kgs over your PR1.2s or 82.18lbs.

.
.
.
.
To put that into context, at least £70 per kilo saved.. Seriously, I'm all for weight saving, but that just doesn't make sense to me unless you're completely stripping the car out and therefore achieving a higher percentage of overall weight saved.

That said, Neuspeed make some very lush forged wheels  :wink:

http://www.vwspeed.co.uk/volkswagen/parts/Mk5_Golf-623-1.html

Hurdy:

--- Quote from: tony_danza on July 07, 2009, 04:06:57 pm ---Are you sure you've got your sums right?

Converting everything to kilos, as I find it easier to understand...

Your PR1.2s come in at 20.63kgs which is heavier than my Turinis @ 20.4kgs. I thought the PR1.2 is a lighter wheel? Granted, you may have heavier tyres, but I'd have expected sub-20kgs.

Volks are 6.67kgs for an 18x8. Knocking 9kgs (source Rimstock's website) off your PR1.2s combined weight means that with the same tyre your Volks will come in at 18.30kgs.

Rotating mass gives roughly a x4 effect, so that will give a total saving of 37.28kgs over your PR1.2s or 82.18lbs.

.
.
.
.
To put that into context, at least £70 per kilo saved.. Seriously, I'm all for weight saving, but that just doesn't make sense to me unless you're completely stripping the car out and therefore achieving a higher percentage of overall weight saved.

That said, Neuspeed make some very lush forged wheels  :wink:

http://www.vwspeed.co.uk/volkswagen/parts/Mk5_Golf-623-1.html

--- End quote ---

I physically weighed the PR 1.2's with the tyres and calculated the weight of the Volks with R888's

Dymag give a different calculation to what you are quoting with 6 x the effect and that is what I used. Maybe the effect is higher with Dymags as the rotational mass is centred more with the lighter CF on the outside?

tony_danza:
Yup, the weight has more of an effect the further from the centre you get. The Dymags are obviously a bit different.

Peskarik:
I'd be conservative and not consider 6x effect Dymag quotes. That's a bit of PR to sell their very expensive alloys.
3-4x, that is what I would say.

As for me, I am thinking about Alleggerita 8x18.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version