Make a donation

Author Topic: springs question  (Read 6997 times)

Offline BMX

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
Re: eibach pro springs question
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2009, 06:28:59 am »
hi oli glad to here you have an ed 30 mate. mine has been great from day 1, i have decided to keep for a while now, so gonna do some more modding  :evilgrin:

look forward to seeing the results. :smiley:

ps can the gti shocks cope with the h&r and sportline springs or is it a little bouncy?
"If Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."

Offline Greeners

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2009, 11:51:25 am »
hi oli glad to here you have an ed 30 mate. mine has been great from day 1, i have decided to keep for a while now, so gonna do some more modding  :evilgrin:

look forward to seeing the results. :smiley:

ps can the gti shocks cope with the h&r and sportline springs or is it a little bouncy?

The OE Damper (Sachs) is more than capable of dealing with Sport Springs!  :happy2:

Oh and there is little or no difference in ride 'comfort'

Offline BMX

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2009, 05:06:29 pm »
ok i got bored of looking at arch tyre gaps and reading threads on lowering it was driving me nuts  :confused:

just ordered some H&R 30mm drop springs from orange  :grin: hope ive done the right thing.

ps can anyone point me in the direction of a "how to " thread on swaping the springs, or tell me of any special tools etc that might be needed.  :smiley:
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 06:07:11 pm by BMX »
"If Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."

Offline NB07

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 26
Re: springs question
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2009, 06:33:52 pm »
this thread has just cofused me now! i was about to get the KW or VWR springs because i dont want an obvious drop but the sportlines and H&R's do look much better eeek  :scared:
Black Edition 30 DSG - Gone but not forgotten!

Offline BMX

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2009, 06:50:01 pm »
this thread has just cofused me now! i was about to get the KW or VWR springs because i dont want an obvious drop but the sportlines and H&R's do look much better eeek  :scared:

go for it  :happy2:

Offline NB07

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2009, 07:36:18 pm »
thing that worries me are the speed bumps i have to go over every day  :sad1:

does any one know if with a 30mm drop (H&Rs for example) would mean the front is less than 120mm off the floor as ive heard this is the max speed bump height?? do love the look but for me its about the handling and VWR state theres a 20-25% increase in spring rate in there option. but then maybe the lower ones might be even better for reducing body roll???

just to quote the volkswagen racing website...

With the standard-fit dampers being of a much more sophisticated design than previous generation cars, we have found that fitting an upgraded ‘Sport Spring’ delivers a very worthwhile improvement to the standard Golf Mk5 (and A3, Leon, Jetta, Eos, Octavia, TT and so on).  Hence the different spring sets that we have developed for the cars using this platform all work with the standard dampers making this a very cost-effective modification to any of these cars.

We have chosen to lower the car by around 15mm in order to preserve the wheel travel needed to keep usability of the standard car, with an increase in spring rate of around 20-25%.  The end result is a more responsive feel to the handling and a lower centre of gravity.

We recommend this set up for all applications except for the most demanding track use.

Offline candy turbo

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2009, 07:58:46 pm »
i looked at every option with the springs and vwr springs are made by kw any way so they are identical . the standard dampers(saches ) unless they are worn are as good even better than a lot of aftermarket dampers you can buy, all lowered spring s are progressive wound so will be about 25% uprated over oem  :wink:

Offline NB07

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2009, 08:10:13 pm »
i looked at every option with the springs and vwr springs are made by kw any way so they are identical . the standard dampers(saches ) unless they are worn are as good even better than a lot of aftermarket dampers you can buy, all lowered spring s are progressive wound so will be about 25% uprated over oem  :wink:

arh thanks  :happy2:

any ideas on the speed bump thing tho that worries me a bit, any one had any scaping on any of the springs mentioned??  :chicken:

Offline Oli

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 10
  • living the dream....
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2009, 08:24:57 pm »
Mine should be arriving tomorrow with the intake, so i'll get some before and after pics and take some measurements.

My milltek isn't arriving till mid to late august!
www.bmvs-camperhire.co.uk - Brand new VW California SE rental

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2009, 08:33:32 pm »

does any one know if with a 30mm drop (H&Rs for example) would mean the front is less than 120mm off the floor as ive heard this is the max speed bump height?? do love the look but for me its about the handling and VWR state theres a 20-25% increase in spring rate in there option. but then maybe the lower ones might be even better for reducing body roll???

just to quote the volkswagen racing website...

With the standard-fit dampers being of a much more sophisticated design than previous generation cars, we have found that fitting an upgraded ‘Sport Spring’ delivers a very worthwhile improvement to the standard Golf Mk5 (and A3, Leon, Jetta, Eos, Octavia, TT and so on).  Hence the different spring sets that we have developed for the cars using this platform all work with the standard dampers making this a very cost-effective modification to any of these cars.

We have chosen to lower the car by around 15mm in order to preserve the wheel travel needed to keep usability of the standard car, with an increase in spring rate of around 20-25%.  The end result is a more responsive feel to the handling and a lower centre of gravity.

We recommend this set up for all applications except for the most demanding track use.

At that drop you will be fine over almost anything. Dont worry and enjoy.  :happy2:

Offline candy turbo

• Thank You
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2009, 08:34:07 pm »
mine goes over speed humps with no problem

fitted with eibach sportlines

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2009, 10:07:05 pm »

i looked at every option with the springs and vwr springs are made by kw any way so they are identical.

....No, not necessarily all identical at all - VWR have a technical partnership with KW Germany and are able to order whatever bespoke KW products they want. For example, my VWR-KW-V3's are bespoke from KW Germany.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2009, 10:13:33 pm »

....Don't forget that anti-roll bars greatly help reduce body roll.

Linky : - Official Gov'nment Info on Speed Cushions etc....

HTH

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline candy turbo

• Thank You
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2009, 05:50:51 pm »

i looked at every option with the springs and vwr springs are made by kw any way so they are identical.

....No, not necessarily all identical at all - VWR have a technical partnership with KW Germany and are able to order whatever bespoke KW products they want. For example, my VWR-KW-V3's are bespoke from KW Germany.
thats what matt from vwr told me , when i asked what they lowered by , he said look at kw web site cause they are one of the same !!!!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2009, 06:47:38 pm »

thats what matt from vwr told me , when i asked what they lowered by , he said look at kw web site cause they are one of the same !!!!

....Yes, unless they order bespoke for you. We may be talking at cross-purposes, Ian (sorry if that's the case) - VWR can order different spring ratings from KW - Those won't be on any web site.

:happy2: