Make a donation

Author Topic: Ed30 #1521  (Read 151012 times)

Offline MateyGuv

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 67
  • Instagram & YouTube - mateyguv
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,69555.0.html
Re: Ed30 #1521
« Reply #195 on: February 14, 2015, 04:50:48 pm »
Stunning! You must be so pleased with the result, and rightly so! OEM+ to perfection!

Thank you Dave  :happy2:

Offline jimmy-s3

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #196 on: March 08, 2015, 11:49:02 pm »
Any chance you could make a list of all the parts needed for the 4wd conversion please?

Offline tom89

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #197 on: March 09, 2015, 02:34:44 am »
Just had a flick through this whole thread mate, what a car! Very jealous of those seats. Keep the updates coming.
08 MKV GTI 3dr Manual K04

Offline MateyGuv

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #198 on: March 09, 2015, 07:40:31 am »
Thank you  :happy2:

The best way is to find an R32/S3 that's being stripped or keep an eye for bits on eBay. In essence you'll need.....
Whole gearbox or just the transfer splitter box - that'll depend on how confident you are machining your current gearbox as the FWD boxes will need modification
Both front drive shafts
Prop shaft - make sure you get the brackets that weld onto the chassis to support this shaft
Rear subframe including diff, drive shafts, hubs etc. There are steel and alloy versions of the subframe and hubs available
ABS pump and ECU (complete unit) from an AWD car - any should do as long as the donor car is AWD
Duel Yaw sensor from the SAME car that the abs pump & ECU came from
You will need to either sheet metal your boot floor or cut the boot floor pan out the donor vehicle as the spare wheel well sits too low on your Pirelli and needs to be raised
Various brackets, heat shields etc on top of that list. Basically if you find a don't vehicle take anything that's attatched to the parts listed.
Iv probably forgotten something but that's about it
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 09:25:38 pm by MateyGuv »

Offline MateyGuv

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #199 on: March 13, 2015, 09:48:54 pm »
I'v been really busy the past few weeks and only been on the forum through my phone so its time for a bit of an update.  I still haven't taken pictures of the interior that does the re trim justice but hopefully a mate will be doing that soon.
Last week I booked in to Awesome GTi to have the main thermostat changed as my car was not getting hotter than 75ish and searching the forum I soon found the cause.  I debated doing it myself but Hassan sorted me out a good price and I decided to let them do the work.  While I was there saw some truly amazing cars and got me thinking again of more power!!
If you have followed my build thread you will see I intend to AWD my car and have all the bits ready to go.  I really do mean to get it done but just as I'm ready a rare part will come up and I focus on that instead.  My wingbacks with full length OEM plaid happened out the blue and my most recent mod did too.  Always on the look out for bits and one of the list was the colour display.  One came up and grabbed it and just been waiting for a chance to get to Eddie_NL for him to work his magic.
I made the herculean round trip in a day from where I am to Ed and back in a day - definitely not one of my best ideas but did it on Monday.   Got there and Ed was straight to work  :grin: We had problems with my colour dials as they appeared to be quite new and his tools were not talking with the colour cluster at all.  We ended up having to install my other Scirocco dials which are 200MPH, blue needle but white display until he could sort the colour ones out. Ed also installed the most up to date Can Gateway for me which means I get a coffee break warning  :signLOL:

We attempted to get MK6 high beam assist going too, but simply ran out of time as I had a 6 hour journey ahead of me to get back home.  Literally the next day Ed called me with good news, he had cracked the issue with my colour display and they were ready to be sent back to me.  My colour dials were from a convertible which meant the picture was wrong of the doors opening etc.  Ed used his coding black magic and got the correct picture for my car - a 3 door.

He sent me the clocks special delivery and I had them the next day.  I fitted them as soon as I got back from work and I am well impressed!!  The white display makes a huge difference and really updates the interior, but the colour display is next level stuff!!!  Its also great to have all the buttons on the MK6 steering wheel that I bought from Ed a while back all working properly too.  On my instagram (mateguv) there are more pics and videos of these clocks showing the needle sweep etc. if you want to see it in action.

:notworthy: Big thank you to Eddie_NL who never fails to impress with his knowledge and workmanship - cant wait to get the high beam assist working  :notworthy:

Offline AndyBrown

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #200 on: March 14, 2015, 08:14:50 am »
Sweeping needles is soooooo good.

Offline TommyR

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 20
  • Black Edition 30
« Reply #201 on: March 14, 2015, 11:25:22 am »
This car just keeps getting better! :happy2:

Offline Batfink76

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #202 on: March 17, 2015, 09:24:06 pm »
Have to agree with the above comment  :happy2:

G4SYU

« Reply #203 on: March 23, 2015, 01:26:18 pm »
 :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats:

Offline MateyGuv

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #204 on: March 23, 2015, 02:05:48 pm »
Thank you all for kind words. I can't take credit for coding these clocks that's all down to @Eddie-NL I simply(!?) found them
@GTi-Andy these clocks are a hybrid of a MK6 colour MFD rear (G6 unit) and a Scirocco face. Located after searching the Internet for a year and a bit. I don't have a part number as these are a blend of two clock units. If you find me on YouTube and Instagram (username is MateyGuv on both) vid of the clock mod and pics are there. Good luck finding bits  :happy2:

Offline GTi-Andy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #205 on: March 24, 2015, 05:20:57 pm »
Thank you all for kind words. I can't take credit for coding these clocks that's all down to @Eddie-NL I simply(!?) found them
@GTi-Andy these clocks are a hybrid of a MK6 colour MFD rear (G6 unit) and a Scirocco face. Located after searching the Internet for a year and a bit. I don't have a part number as these are a blend of two clock units. If you find me on YouTube and Instagram (username is MateyGuv on both) vid of the clock mod and pics are there. Good luck finding bits  :happy2:

@MateyGuv great vid on you tube, cheers fella - now the hunt begins, should you come across the needed clocks please let me know

So much for keeping it standard!

Offline MateyGuv

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #206 on: March 24, 2015, 06:10:35 pm »
@GTi-Andy will do bud  :happy2:

Offline MateyGuv

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #207 on: April 18, 2015, 01:53:55 pm »
Got the Auto Polar working right with the Colour MFD - really useful bit of kit and allows basic options to be configured without needing VAGCOM  :happy2:

My tyres needed replacing so bit the bullet and changed all 4 to Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2.  So far I'm really impressed and much prefer them to the Bridgestone's I had on before.  It could be down to the previous set having only approx. 1.8 tread depth on them but the grip on the new set is awesome in comparison.  My MPG's have increased by a notable amount too.

I'm busy getting the rest of the parts I want for an AWD conversion but nearly there, figure if Im going to do it I may as well polly bush, Exhaust (will need changing anyway), roll bars, SALK and alloy arm it while the bits are off.

Offline MateyGuv

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #208 on: April 23, 2015, 08:46:10 pm »
Iv had a problem with my Ed.......

Took my 2007 Edition 30 DSG for a short drive yesterday and while moving in slow traffic the accelerator stopped providing acceleration yet the gear indicator said it was in gear. The engine then stalled. I was able to put the car into neutral and restart it then got back home. Later on I went to start the car and all good, went down the road and engine management light came on and when coming to a stop engine stalled again.
Got it home and started again but would only idle for a few seconds then stall again. Plugged my scanner in (eBay special) and no fault codes but eml still on. Disconnected the battery and left for 5 then reconnected and it started and was able to idle for about a minute then died again.

The eBay special wasn't giving me any help so bit the bullet and bought a legit Ross-Tech cable from Gendan (http://www.gendan.co.uk/product_VCHU.html) after searching this site for recommendations and they didn't let me down.  Got it delivered net day so was able to do a proper scan. 

The scan revealed a problem with the LPFP so asked for some advice from the forum and @Dave J and @fuscobal came to the rescue. Many thanks guys  :happy2: :drinking: :happy2:

It was either gonna be the thrust sensor or the LPFP itself. Dave kindly supplied the part number for the sensor (06E 906 051K just incase anyone reading this needs it) and fuscobal kindly advised me what is required to change the LPFP to a TTRS unit, which I have as part of my 4WD plans, so I had all bases covered.
Spoke to my local TPS this morning who happened to have the sensor in stock.  I wanted to try the sensor first as this would be the easiest to swap out.  Their delivery van happened to be passing me on its rounds today and they agreed to send it out on the van for me.  They gave me trade price and even delivered it!  Well impressed - I have spend a fair bit with them but still was chuffed they would deliver it to me  :happy2:

Old V New thrust sensor

The swap over took all of 5 mins.  I cleared all faults then turned the car on and it fired up as expected, Iv let it get to temp and gone for a drive and it didn't miss a beat. Just run another scan and all seems good now.

Fingers crossed that's all it was - thanks again Dave and Fuscobal  :happy2: :drinking: :happy2:

Offline TForrest94

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #209 on: April 23, 2015, 08:57:32 pm »
Glad it wasn't anything too serious mate, great to have vcds now especially with the awd happening soon, this car is gonna be the nuts when it's done

Its just a way of life.