Make a donation

Author Topic: GFB DV+ OEM Diverter upgrade kit  (Read 107018 times)

Offline grey golfster

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 79
  • -Receive: 34
  • Edition 30 # 993; Stage 2 n a bit....
Re: GFB DV+ OEM Diverter upgrade kit
« Reply #150 on: May 31, 2014, 06:06:04 pm »
Had a post-revision GFB dv on my eddy for a few months now.
Considered this upgrade on a cost+ basis for the oem that needed changing at apr remap.
A nicely made, well presented item.
Easy fit to the eddy.
No issues.
Drives well.

Offline DrChops

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #151 on: June 10, 2014, 05:28:36 pm »
Hi,

Had to post on the diverter valve.

Got a 05 GTI a couple of months ago (black, lots of optional extras) but within 500 miles had low oil pressure warning, two weeks in the garage, £500 for replacement oil pick up which was blocked with silicon from whoever replaced the balance cam a few months earlier!

Anyway, 3000 miles later and I'm thinking this car is a bit disappointing on the old acceleration front!  I know....sacrilege.  But, I've had MK1 GTI's, MK2 GTI 16 valver's, Corrado VR6 and I'm used to a good pull all the way to the redline, you know proper acceleration and this MK5 just wasn't impressive.

Well, I self diagnosed the diverter valve as the problem (through reading forums) and replaced it a few days ago with the GFB £102 part using the directions in this thread.

Yes Yes Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Massive difference.  Big smile now.

The silicon diaphragm was shot and only hanging on by a thread.  Who knows how long this GTI has been under performing and how many others there are out there with a broken DV?????

It took me about an hour an a half.  Using the tools recommended in this post.  To be clear, I gained access for the 1/4 wrench by jacking drivers side (chocking well) removing the plastic trim, lying alongside the front of the car and reaching in with one hand.  Top tip is to tape your wrench to the extension and the extension to the 5mm hex.  This way you won't drop these bits during the job.  Most of the time was getting confident that I had access to the DV and the car wasn't going to crush my arm.  Swapping the GFB bits onto the OEM solenoid was easy as was refitting. 

I guess I effectively was driving a 2.0 L 16V with no turbo.  Now I have the Turbo boost working to the redline!  Ready for a remap now ;-)       

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #152 on: June 15, 2014, 09:34:41 pm »

Wasnt the revision a good improvement?

Offline JMP

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #153 on: June 24, 2014, 07:06:49 pm »
What are the latest impressions of this product? All of sudden Im clearly down on power, turbo spools slower so I think my g-version dv just went bust. I ordered this dv+ as a permanent solution.. Lets see how it feels with my k03 stage 2.

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #154 on: June 24, 2014, 07:25:26 pm »
What are the latest impressions of this product? All of sudden Im clearly down on power, turbo spools slower so I think my g-version dv just went bust. I ordered this dv+ as a permanent solution.. Lets see how it feels with my k03 stage 2.

I can't see the facts changing tbh.

If it leaked boost and was expensive before. . .  :chicken:
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline JMP

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #155 on: June 24, 2014, 07:50:10 pm »

I can't see the facts changing tbh.

If it leaked boost and was expensive before. . .  :chicken:

But this was only with some k04 applications right? From what I have read it should work well with k03?

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
« Reply #156 on: June 24, 2014, 07:57:07 pm »
It also works very well with my Precision 5558 solution,  :happy2:

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline Little_Dave

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 28
« Reply #157 on: June 24, 2014, 09:44:56 pm »
Confused as these seem to get a mixed review on here but the boys on audisportnet seem to all rave about it  :stupid:

Could it be the k03 and k04 being the critical difference?  :popcornsoda:

Offline E30Dom

• Thank You
  • -Given: 42
  • -Receive: 76
« Reply #158 on: July 24, 2014, 01:14:41 pm »

Important updates to DV+ T9351
GFB Technical Bulletin: DV+ (part # T9351) leak issue: 9th September 2013.
Since the DV+ was released, it became apparent that there were significantly more variables than our initial testing revealed. This is because we have a patent pending on this product, and we were limited in how many different cars we could use during development since you cannot disclose the product to the public until the patent has been lodged.

The Audi/VW community has made us aware of a leaking issue with some of our DV+ valves, for which we’ve now engineered a solution.

The leaking issue is the result of a number of contributing factors, however it can be generally said that the problem is most common on cars using the K04 turbo. This is because in most cases, cars equipped with the K04 turbo run higher boost.

What we found is that it is possible for the plunger inside the solenoid coil to be forced open by high boost pressure, which results in a drop in pressure behind the main piston, causing the valve to partially open.

Whilst our initial testing showed the plunger to be capable of holding in excess of 30psi, we’ve since found that variations in the factory spring and a slight difference in the diameter of the o-ring used on the front of the plunger leads to significant differences in the ability of the plunger to stay shut under load.

Initially, a stronger plunger return spring seemed like a good solution, but after testing as many solenoid coils as we could, it appeared that the electromagnetic strength of the coils varies significantly, especially when hot. Therefore some coils were not able to reliably open the valve when a stronger spring was used.

Our solution? We have made changes to both the spring and the plunger to ensure that it does not get pushed open under boost, and that it continues to open reliably when the solenoid is energised by the ECU.

The changes to the DV+ T9351 kit are detailed below:

We have manufactured a spring that holds the plunger down with more than twice the force of the original factory spring
    To ensure the solenoid is able to reliably retract this harder spring, the plunger has been made slightly longer to shorten the stroke. This means the  electromagnetic retraction force of the coil on the plunger is significantly increased
    The diameter of the silicone o-ring on the front of the plunger has been reduced so the area exposed to the boost pressure is smaller, which further increases its ability to resist being pushed open (smaller area means for a given pressure there is less force being applied)

All new T9351 DV+ kits come with the new plunger (which can be identified by its black colour as opposed to the silver finish of the original plunger) and spring.

For the earlier DV+ T9351 models, all that is required is to replace the existing plunger and OE plunger spring with the parts supplied in the GFB upgrade kit.

We thank you for your patience and feedback whilst we have implemented this solution. All product supplied since Spetember 2013 has the correctly upgraded kits.

Best regards,
Brett Turner  B.E. (Mechanical)
Design Engineer
Go Fast Bits
www.gfb.com.au
+612 9534 0099

Diesel Daily Hack.

Offline GTiBlues

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 15
  • Mr Blues
    • Bookface
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,75444.0.html
« Reply #159 on: September 27, 2014, 09:23:24 am »
Hello,
I've fitted the Rev D to my car about 8 months ago. Recently I had a fault about the DV, since then I got a Revo stage 1 not long after I noticed the fault. The car went like hell for a few days and now I've noticed its not so punchy. The fault on the DV came back again. Reading around I gather the Rev G is the one to go for. From what I've read here, buying the DV+ is the way forward. Will this work well with the Rev G?

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 183
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101525.0.html
« Reply #160 on: September 27, 2014, 12:01:34 pm »
It works with any of them as the solinoid is the same. The DV+ only replaces the diaphragm part. No harm in using the latest revision as a starting point though!

Moving over to Flickr, sorry for the broken picture links!

Offline GTiBlues

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Mr Blues
    • Bookface
    • Email
« Reply #161 on: September 27, 2014, 04:14:51 pm »
It works with any of them as the solinoid is the same. The DV+ only replaces the diaphragm part. No harm in using the latest revision as a starting point though!
Ah so i wouldn't have to buy another DV, just use my current Rev D   :smiley:

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
« Reply #162 on: September 27, 2014, 04:40:22 pm »
That's what I did.

Offline GTiBlues

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Mr Blues
    • Bookface
    • Email
« Reply #163 on: September 27, 2014, 05:01:48 pm »
sweet, that's resolved that issue. Next is engine mounts and poly bush everything

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
« Reply #164 on: September 27, 2014, 09:38:02 pm »
Then bigger brakes, lower coil overs, stiffer anti roll bars, more power... It never ends. :drinking: