Make a donation

Author Topic: Dans grey MK5 GTI. Prepping for VagTuner  (Read 275108 times)

Offline M9xxr

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
Re: Dans grey MK5 GTI, K03 hybrid complete
« Reply #360 on: December 06, 2015, 10:10:58 am »
Got to be happy with that mate! thats some good figures and i bet it pulls really well! least if you decide to want more your just a ko4 and a bwa inlet cam off 370-380  :happy2:

Offline AJG09

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 21
  • My Ride: 2005 mk5 golf 1.6 FSI
« Reply #361 on: December 06, 2015, 01:10:03 pm »
Good stuff, looks like a good result  :happy2:

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #362 on: December 06, 2015, 03:08:05 pm »
Nice result that. And quite wise to keep the torque down if you feel it's quick enough.

Does the turbo feel substantially different to a normal k03 then?

Would you go k04 if you were going to do it all again, or does the hybrid give enough extra mid-top end to make the hybrid comparible to a k04 swap? (Obviously the numbers say so, but subjective seat-of-the-pants opinion doesn't hurt!)

dansmith180

« Reply #363 on: December 06, 2015, 04:23:08 pm »
Nice result that. And quite wise to keep the torque down if you feel it's quick enough.

Does the turbo feel substantially different to a normal k03 then?

Would you go k04 if you were going to do it all again, or does the hybrid give enough extra mid-top end to make the hybrid comparible to a k04 swap? (Obviously the numbers say so, but subjective seat-of-the-pants opinion doesn't hurt!)

Yeah sooo much more than the standard K03, obviously I wasn't running it with the same mods I am now but as far as I know the normal K03 peaks at 19psi and holds 11psi. Looking at my boost gauge it peaks at 27psi and holds 17psi running well within its limits. Its honestly like being hit in the back when it comes on  :driver:

If I started again I might consider full CDL conversion however if you could do what I have done cheaper. You could stretch the fuel pump and injectors maybe and not spend so much on other bits.

Overall its a well rounded car, could do with a diff and ALK but is manageable as it is. A handful at times but puts a big stupid smile on my face which is all I want from a car  :wink:

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #364 on: December 06, 2015, 04:27:47 pm »
I'm sold on the 'being hit in the back' bit!

Think I'll definitely look at a hybrid in the future, just seems to make sense on standard axx/bwa internals.

Enjoy it mate!!

Offline Dave J

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 45
  • -Receive: 63
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,55935.0.html
« Reply #365 on: December 06, 2015, 04:28:43 pm »
Sounds like a pretty quick car now - pleased to read you've tuned it for driveability rather than headline figures!

Really ought to visit you at Elite to see this beast, especially seeing as you're just down the road from me..., but worried it would cause me to spend yet more money on the ED30 :grin:

Edition 30 - no. 1387

dansmith180

« Reply #366 on: December 06, 2015, 04:33:39 pm »
Sounds like a pretty quick car now - pleased to read you've tuned it for driveability rather than headline figures!

Really ought to visit you at Elite to see this beast, especially seeing as you're just down the road from me..., but worried it would cause me to spend yet more money on the ED30 :grin:

Yeah mate come down, pick a dry day and I'll show you what she can do  :evilgrin:. Or pick a wet day and bring some spare pants  :laugh:

Online Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #367 on: December 06, 2015, 04:47:35 pm »
Are them brakes on

Nice one Dan
Going to order the brake kit this week with the ebc yellow pads for the rear
Are them brakes on

Not yet mate as they're being painted red ATM since they only come in black from Forge, will probably go on in a few weeks with the rear anti roll bar and rear brake upgrades I have planned.

Not yet mate as they're being painted red ATM since they only come in black from Forge, will probably go on in a few weeks with the rear anti roll bar and rear brake upgrades I have planned.

Nice one mate,going to order the brake kit this week direct of forge if they will match jbs motor sport price.Also going to change the rear pads to the yellow ones

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 183
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101525.0.html
« Reply #368 on: December 06, 2015, 04:54:14 pm »
Liking how this has turned out, I do miss the punchy power of the K03 turbo but a K04 for sheer grunt is not to be sniffed at! I'm still adjusting to the different nature of the engine compared to my GTI but slowly getting there.

Moving over to Flickr, sorry for the broken picture links!

dansmith180

« Reply #369 on: December 06, 2015, 05:09:20 pm »
Liking how this has turned out, I do miss the punchy power of the K03 turbo but a K04 for sheer grunt is not to be sniffed at! I'm still adjusting to the different nature of the engine compared to my GTI but slowly getting there.

Yeah no doubt that for balls out performance K04 upwards DSG and 4WD is the winning combination but I would probably lose my licence too quickly  :laugh:.

Also I find this car a challenge to drive now, it's easy as can be on a long motorway drive and fine through town although clutch is a bit heavier and with the new lower dogbone mount (vibratecnics) a bit more vibration in the cabin. However when you get her out on the open road and want to find the limit you have to really concentrate.

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #370 on: December 06, 2015, 09:20:28 pm »
I think you made a very reasonable choice and got a great car to drive. The numbers obtained are great and the remap very linear, as I like it. Congrats mate! :congrats:

dansmith180

« Reply #371 on: December 07, 2015, 02:18:40 pm »
So a few bits of useful information I found out during the build and now I've done some driving.

NGK spark plugs are sh*t:

Reason, I had put some NGK plugs in the car when I serviced it 200miles before breaking it. Whilst on the dyno when they were hitting the rev limiter 7200rpm it would throw up an engine warning light. They said they've seen this time and time again with the NGK plugs so they threw them away and put in some Bosch ones, boom problem solved. If you get this problem and its not plugs he said the other possibility it the valve springs are too weak causing 'valve bounce' I believe he called it.

MPG is up:

I don't really care about MPG and I haven't been driving sensibly but i'm seeing probably 3-5mpg more than I usually would. Don't know exactly what is most responsible for it however between the carbon build up being removed and the new low down power the car is running noticeably more efficiently.

Forge OEM replacement cooler is doing well:

So as you may know I originally opted for the Forge twintercooler but the stupid pipes weren't even close to fitting so swapped it for their OEM replacement option. On the dyno 30 degrees was the highest it saw with an ambient of about 16 degrees after a couple of runs.

That's all I have for now so just going to enjoy it and put some miles on. Got brakes all round to sort out and a H&R rear anti roll bar to go on at some point soon. Then just some maintenance and tidying to do to get her just how I want.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 02:21:44 pm by dansmith180 »

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #372 on: December 07, 2015, 02:33:34 pm »
Nice one mate glad to hear it's sorted finally and you is well chuffed  :happy2: :happy2: :happy2:

dansmith180

« Reply #373 on: December 07, 2015, 02:36:23 pm »
Nice one mate glad to hear it's sorted finally and you is well chuffed  :happy2: :happy2: :happy2:

Cheers fella, chuffed I definitely am. Once I get rid of this gay cold I can start doing some of the passenger rides I promised   :drinking:

Offline MrJT247

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #374 on: December 07, 2015, 09:29:13 pm »
So a few bits of useful information I found out during the build and now I've done some driving.

NGK spark plugs are sh*t:

Reason, I had put some NGK plugs in the car when I serviced it 200miles before breaking it. Whilst on the dyno when they were hitting the rev limiter 7200rpm it would throw up an engine warning light. They said they've seen this time and time again with the NGK plugs so they threw them away and put in some Bosch ones, boom problem solved. If you get this problem and its not plugs he said the other possibility it the valve springs are too weak causing 'valve bounce' I believe he called it.

MPG is up:

I don't really care about MPG and I haven't been driving sensibly but i'm seeing probably 3-5mpg more than I usually would. Don't know exactly what is most responsible for it however between the carbon build up being removed and the new low down power the car is running noticeably more efficiently.

Forge OEM replacement cooler is doing well:

So as you may know I originally opted for the Forge twintercooler but the stupid pipes weren't even close to fitting so swapped it for their OEM replacement option. On the dyno 30 degrees was the highest it saw with an ambient of about 16 degrees after a couple of runs.

That's all I have for now so just going to enjoy it and put some miles on. Got brakes all round to sort out and a H&R rear anti roll bar to go on at some point soon. Then just some maintenance and tidying to do to get her just how I want.

Hi Dan, Been following your thread with great interest as I'm thinking of going BB hybrid on my 2+ setup. I wonder if you could clarify a couple of points for me though. I thought you had a THS intercooler on your car (as do I). Why the change to the forge cooler?

Are you running the rev g diverter with your hybrid set up, just that with the ko3 running higher pressures than the ko4 My G rev keeps failing me with far more modest figures than you've just achieved.

One last thing were the Bosch plugs just the usual OEM ones from VAG of something a bit more funky?

Soz for the Spanish inquisition!