Make a donation

Author Topic: Dans grey MK5 GTI. Prepping for VagTuner  (Read 275106 times)

dansmith180

Re: Dans grey MK5 GTI hybrid K03 - soon to be BWJ powered - resting for now
« Reply #585 on: April 23, 2016, 11:30:23 am »
What's killed the original engine do you think Dan? Running it with the hybrid a bit too much?

To be honest a cam chain (inevitable on an axx), a new MAF and maybe half a day with AKS would see it running fine as the internals seem to be coping perfectly. But I found this BWJ cheap and I've got nothing else to do so I said hey let's throw so more money at it  :signLOL:.

Plus i'm tryna play catch up with everyone else I usually play with running more and more power, seems like everyone is 400+ now and K03 isn't cutting it  :driver:

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #586 on: April 23, 2016, 12:14:23 pm »
What's killed the original engine do you think Dan? Running it with the hybrid a bit too much?

To be honest a cam chain (inevitable on an axx), a new MAF and maybe half a day with AKS would see it running fine as the internals seem to be coping perfectly. But I found this BWJ cheap and I've got nothing else to do so I said hey let's throw so more money at it  :signLOL:.

Plus i'm tryna play catch up with everyone else I usually play with running more and more power, seems like everyone is 400+ now and K03 isn't cutting it  :driver:
Is the cam chain an issue for a bwa too, or just the axx?

Yeah it all gets a bit addictive after a while. I know deep down I'll want more than 2+ k03 power as soon as I get there! Still pretty much set on a hybrid at some point.

I think it was a good move getting a complete k04 engine. Gives you lots of options.

dansmith180

« Reply #587 on: April 23, 2016, 01:05:31 pm »
@AJP I believe i've heard Alex say the BWA's up to 2007 can suffer as well as he's seen the 'A' part number on them so still hadnt been revised. In not 100% though, I think on all of them similar to the MK4 R32's the chain is always something to be wary of and almost accept you may have to do it at some point.

Cheers, hopefully this is enough for me and I can try to spend my money enjoying it rather than building it over and over again  :rolleye:

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #588 on: April 23, 2016, 01:08:27 pm »
Well mine's an 07 BWA... so I'll keep an eye on it!

I think you'll reach the limits of front wheel drive before you reach the limits of the internals with this one. TTE420, or bigger?

dansmith180

« Reply #589 on: April 23, 2016, 01:59:48 pm »
Well mine's an 07 BWA... so I'll keep an eye on it!

I think you'll reach the limits of front wheel drive before you reach the limits of the internals with this one. TTE420, or bigger?

I'm sure yours will be fine, my car was always very loud and I still noticed for sure when the chain started so to be honest you get a fair bit of pretty obvious warning anyways

Yeah TTE420 is about the 'safe' limit when pushing it hard. I though about it but its too much and as you say for FWD it would be such a bitch without a diff that I couldn't use the extra power anyways.

I'll see how this setup does on the dyno and road but should be getting R-Tech switchable mapping (if they ever get back to me and my ECU is suitable) so will have a sensible 'ish' road map/ track map and a dick head map  :signLOL:

Offline Paradox1

• Thank You
  • -Given: 41
  • -Receive: 82
    • Email
« Reply #590 on: April 26, 2016, 01:36:19 pm »
Okay I'm a bit confused now as I think you have a turbo fetish.

So you went from k03, to hybrid and now your on k04?

dansmith180

« Reply #591 on: April 26, 2016, 07:41:28 pm »
Okay I'm a bit confused now as I think you have a turbo fetish.

So you went from k03, to hybrid and now your on k04?

:signLOL:

Yes I've had K03 and then hybrid K03 on my AXX lump

Now I've bought a BWJ lump from a cupra R that's has the K04 as standard and then i'm putting an anti surge wheel in that turbo. So its not a hybrid K04 but its somewhere between hybrid and stock.

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 183
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101525.0.html
« Reply #592 on: April 26, 2016, 07:59:59 pm »
Just do a GTX3071R build and be done with it! :laugh:

Moving over to Flickr, sorry for the broken picture links!

dansmith180

« Reply #593 on: April 26, 2016, 08:05:02 pm »

OI, that's enough out of you  :laugh:  :laugh:

Would love it, but then its 4WD time and since I can't do any labour it would cost me a bomb then that's when I would finally give up and get an RS3/ TTRS.

Offline TAPPY

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 56
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,103290.0.html
Re: Dans grey MK5 GTI hybrid K03. Someone broke down
« Reply #594 on: April 26, 2016, 09:45:25 pm »
So although I didn't manage to kill the car last Sunday, when I started it on Tuesday (was fine on Monday) it sounded like utter sh*t. So I think the cam chain and probably a few other bits really are on their last legs.

The car is booked in at AKS on May 25th - 28th for the following

To the BWJ engine:
. check and if needed replace cam chain
. runner flap delete
. injector refurbish
. oil pick up change
. carbon clean
. pressure test and boroscope work
. RS4 FPRV
. cambelt and water pump
. turbo check over
. anti surge wheel fitted  :evilgrin:
. all mods from old engine moved over

Then remove the old one and fit the BWJ lump, also fix a few little niggles and maybe a new MAF sensor to hopefully have the car running as it should for more than 10 minutes

So this should leave me with a pretty well sorted engine capable of some serious performance and most of all some realiability   :pomppomp:

But for now she's resting as I don't think it will last the 4 weeks.

Tried to get an artsy photo with the dog and my car next to each other but my phone is useless in strong light and the dog doesn't look to pleased  :laugh:

For now I have this beast

I barely fit in it but its a free car so I should stop complaining.

Also I realise this has almost become more of a blog than a build thread but tough, you just have to put up with it  :innocent:

Is that your Mazda then dan or are you borrowing it? I went to elite the other week and saw it outside but didn't think you was there as I didn't see your golf

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 183
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101525.0.html
« Reply #595 on: April 26, 2016, 09:51:38 pm »

Would love it, but then its 4WD time and since I can't do any labour it would cost me a bomb then that's when I would finally give up and get an RS3/ TTRS.

I'm still dreaming of putting a 2.5 TFSI engine into the Golf R, they can be tuned to 600bhp on stock internals with little effort, if you pull them open and play with the internals then 700bhp and above is accessible. Combined with running a TT wide track conversion, could make for an interesting Golf I reckon.

Not that I'm trying to make you consider a swap to a 2.5 TFSI powered car... :evilgrin:

Moving over to Flickr, sorry for the broken picture links!

dansmith180

« Reply #596 on: April 26, 2016, 10:11:41 pm »
@TAPPY if it was more than a week ago I may well have been out or at lunch etc...

The Mazda is owned by the business and is classed as a pool car so all of us on the insurance policy use it as a spare car. And since we've killed 2 cars recently its getting quite a bit of use  :laugh:

dansmith180

« Reply #597 on: April 26, 2016, 10:15:10 pm »

I'm still dreaming of putting a 2.5 TFSI engine into the Golf R, they can be tuned to 600bhp on stock internals with little effort, if you pull them open and play with the internals then 700bhp and above is accessible. Combined with running a TT wide track conversion, could make for an interesting Golf I reckon.

Not that I'm trying to make you consider a swap to a 2.5 TFSI powered car... :evilgrin:

That's basically my dream if I ever won some decent money on a scrarchcard or lottery etc.. Full cage, Superleggera seats, monster brakes, 19" OZ's of some type, TTRS lump at 500+bhp, 4WD and all the other trimmings  :evilgrin: :party:

Offline TAPPY

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 56
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,103290.0.html
« Reply #598 on: April 26, 2016, 10:34:08 pm »
@TAPPY if it was more than a week ago I may well have been out or at lunch etc...

The Mazda is owned by the business and is classed as a pool car so all of us on the insurance policy use it as a spare car. And since we've killed 2 cars recently its getting quite a bit of use  :laugh:
Yeah it was more than a week ago I was chatting to Bradley from concourse detailing for ages but even if you was there I'm not sure what you look like so wouldn't have known  :signLOL:

dansmith180

« Reply #599 on: April 26, 2016, 10:47:58 pm »

Yeah it was more than a week ago I was chatting to Bradley from concourse detailing for ages but even if you was there I'm not sure what you look like so wouldn't have known  :signLOL:

Hahaha, yeah I think I might have caught him when I came back after lunch if it was the same time I'm thinking of but he's in all the time so hard to remember.

Well there's only 4 of us there and I'm the only fat one so if you see a grumpy fat person in an elitecarcare shirt its always going to be me  :signLOL:, come say hi next time  :happy2: