Make a donation

Author Topic: Dans grey MK5 GTI. Prepping for VagTuner  (Read 275107 times)

Offline th3_f15t

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 183
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101525.0.html
Re: Dans grey MK5 GTI, Hybrid K03 plans under way
« Reply #270 on: October 11, 2015, 09:40:33 am »
As mentioned with the intercooler, you may be better off with something from Airtec or Peron, as it's a shorter path for the air flow and less internal turbulence but either way an upgrade will see you gains. Definitely want a HPFP, I'm running a Loba one on my stock Golf R and the difference in power delivery is noticeable. Hybrid K03 could be interesting, but have you considered something like a Garret GT2867 turbo instead? You'll still retain the lower RPM boost but you'll see more than 300bhp easily.

Moving over to Flickr, sorry for the broken picture links!

dansmith180

« Reply #271 on: October 11, 2015, 10:07:03 am »
I like your plan. :happy2:

Just curious to know why you decided to go with Forge's Twintercooler.

I've read Niki from R-Tech saying that the best K03 option is the alloy OEM core from a S3, so that you can maintain the punchy boost sub 3200 rpm. I know you'll get an hybrid K03, but maybe for that power you'll be better off with the S3 intercooler with alloy ends. :smiley:

I hope you can have it back soon too. :drinking:

Yeah I have thought about that but some people say it does cause some lag and some say it doesn't so I thought since I can get one very cheap I would try and see for myself, also part of me just wants to be a chav and have the intercooler visible at the front.  :happy2:

Not even sure if you need an upgraded HPFP to run that power?

I didn't think you would either but the guy doing the work knows his stuff and he said its very unlikely that the standard one can cope, he's done a few and he's tried cheaper ways of sorting it but in the end the LOBA pump always works best.

dansmith180

« Reply #272 on: October 11, 2015, 10:11:50 am »
As mentioned with the intercooler, you may be better off with something from Airtec or Peron, as it's a shorter path for the air flow and less internal turbulence but either way an upgrade will see you gains. Definitely want a HPFP, I'm running a Loba one on my stock Golf R and the difference in power delivery is noticeable. Hybrid K03 could be interesting, but have you considered something like a Garret GT2867 turbo instead? You'll still retain the lower RPM boost but you'll see more than 300bhp easily.

Like I said to shoduchi some say this some say that but tbh I can't imagine a big difference lag wise and I tend to rev a bit more anyways (so I don't kill my clutch too soon), I'll give it a try and see what happens since I can get one cheap anyways. And part of me wants the cooler visible at the front.

Yeah I thought through pretty much all the options, K04/ S3 lump normal K03/ full rebuild and so on but this just fits in my budget nicely and leaves room for more power whilst running a nice but reliable amount now. As usual I've done it the weirdest way ever with some random collection of parts but my mum always says I'm different  :laugh:
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 10:13:31 am by dansmith180 »

nickygti5

« Reply #273 on: October 11, 2015, 03:08:31 pm »
Good build thread. Enjoyed reading it. Getting good ideas. Nice car buddy.

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
« Reply #274 on: October 11, 2015, 04:49:46 pm »
One thing with either the Forge or Airtec coolers, they both provide an OE replacement and FMIC options, so you can always combine to have the ultimate setup for cooling all that air coming in. I agree with doing what you want, I stopped listening too much to what was on the forums and just went with what I wanted and I don't regret it. I was going to hybrid K03 my GTI but because I wanted DSG I decided to part ways with it.

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #275 on: October 11, 2015, 05:58:32 pm »
What are the advantages of a hybrid k03 over a k04 then?

Offline ashbignall

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 4
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,100689.0.html
« Reply #276 on: October 11, 2015, 06:29:01 pm »
Great looking car. A good read too. Love the steel grey

Offline dazza

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 190
  • Coding Boffin
    • Email
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=qj0smakha2kbj7749uioca4p76&/topic,90967.msg917089.html#msg917089
« Reply #277 on: October 11, 2015, 07:25:44 pm »
I think a K03 hybrid would be my choice owning an axx, 310bhp sounds about right.
Also due to the lack of rain and warm weather think i could take advantage of the low down power.  :drool:

Plus wouldn't have to mess about relocating stuff.

Just don't know who could map it for me.

Will be watching this closely.

05 | Tornado Red | DSG

dansmith180

« Reply #278 on: October 11, 2015, 07:42:52 pm »
One thing with either the Forge or Airtec coolers, they both provide an OE replacement and FMIC options, so you can always combine to have the ultimate setup for cooling all that air coming in. I agree with doing what you want, I stopped listening too much to what was on the forums and just went with what I wanted and I don't regret it. I was going to hybrid K03 my GTI but because I wanted DSG I decided to part ways with it.

Yeah recommendations and reviews are great but sometimes you can easily get caught up in a whirlwind of people saying different things then you start to doubt what your doing and so on, but f*ck it I'll give this a try and see how she goes.

Yeah the smart decision would be to sell and trade up like you've done and I did look at some options but I love this car too much, I'll just keep throwing money at it  :laugh:, did you manage to sell yours in the end? I know you had trouble and I couldn't see why since it was such a great example.

dansmith180

« Reply #279 on: October 11, 2015, 07:48:08 pm »
What are the advantages of a hybrid k03 over a k04 then?

It just fills a nice gap between the K03 and K04, with an AXX engine if I pushed a K04 I would probably have to rebuild it within 18 months or less with my driving. Also the K04 means changing some pipework and a few other bits.

The hybrid K03 is an easy bolt on and will reliably run 300 - 320bhp and probably more which is a good bit more than a standard K03 but retaining the quick spooling (although the K04 is far from a laggy turbo). I'm also able to keep stock injectors up to around the 300 mark but we'll have to see how the hold when it goes on the dyno.

It just fits nicely into my budget and goes well with the weaker TFSI engines as 350+bhp is asking a lot of them, especially since I drive hard and it will see track use.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 07:50:53 pm by dansmith180 »

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #280 on: October 11, 2015, 07:55:51 pm »
Hybrid sounds a decent option then. So the 300-320 would be equivalent to a stage 2/2+ car in terms of hardware then - intake, decat etc? And with just a turbo swap and map with stock hardware, around 270/280? Would it still require S3 injectors?

I do like the quick spool of the k03, but then the torque really drops off quite quickly and lets it down a bit.

So I'd imagine the hybrid makes similar peak torque to a k03 but holds boost better as the revs rise?

Wouldn't mind seeing a dyno graph if anyone has one??

dansmith180

« Reply #281 on: October 11, 2015, 08:30:03 pm »
Hybrid sounds a decent option then. So the 300-320 would be equivalent to a stage 2/2+ car in terms of hardware then - intake, decat etc? And with just a turbo swap and map with stock hardware, around 270/280? Would it still require S3 injectors?

I do like the quick spool of the k03, but then the torque really drops off quite quickly and lets it down a bit.

So I'd imagine the hybrid makes similar peak torque to a k03 but holds boost better as the revs rise?

Yeah hardware wise its stage 2+, the hybrid K03 has a K04 turbine with all the other bits uprated so like you said keeps the quick spool but holds it longer. Injectors wise its hard to say, my guy reckons 300 odd is about the limit of standard ones but its different from car to car so some might only do 280 and others will push 320.

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #282 on: October 11, 2015, 08:40:16 pm »

Yeah hardware wise its stage 2+, the hybrid K03 has a K04 turbine with all the other bits uprated so like you said keeps the quick spool but holds it longer. Injectors wise its hard to say, my guy reckons 300 odd is about the limit of standard ones but its different from car to car so some might only do 280 and others will push 320.
It'd probably be worth doing the injectors if you're upgrading the HPFP, peace of mind at least that you're getting the best out of the pump.

I'm really interested in seeing the results of this, from the sound of it it'd make it really punchy and arguably nicer to drive than a k04 car.

Mine's a BWA, so like the AXX I'd be a bit paranoid about stressing the rods too much. Hybrid is probably that sweet spot.

What's the cost of the hybrid if you don't mind me asking? And is it on exchange, or do you just send yours in for the work? Oh, and who's doing it?

Sorry for the thousand questions, just want to find out as much as I can as it sounds ideal for me!

dansmith180

« Reply #283 on: October 11, 2015, 08:58:20 pm »
@AJP  no worries mate, I'm not too sure on cost ATM as I'm waiting for a reply, on the website (beach buggy turbos) there's a £775 and a £890 option, I think one has a different outlet or something but I'm not sure what the difference is. I believe you just buy the unit and keep yours. Vince and Jon at Stealth Racing in Southam (just south of Coventry) are doing all the work for me as they've done loads of work and some big projects for us.

I will hopefully have a good bit more info next week, yes like you say it just fills that gap between wanting more than a K03 but not wanting to risk a K04. I will update this regularly as I know more.

Where about are you from?

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
« Reply #284 on: October 11, 2015, 10:09:11 pm »
Yeah recommendations and reviews are great but sometimes you can easily get caught up in a whirlwind of people saying different things then you start to doubt what your doing and so on, but f*ck it I'll give this a try and see how she goes.

Yeah the smart decision would be to sell and trade up like you've done and I did look at some options but I love this car too much, I'll just keep throwing money at it  :laugh:, did you manage to sell yours in the end? I know you had trouble and I couldn't see why since it was such a great example.

I traded it for a mk4 R32 in the end, think the audio issues put people off but I got it fixed for the new owner. I was (and still am) sad to see it go but now my Golf R is coming along the pain is easing slightly... Still, I miss the way it reminded me to drive sensibly when I went a bit to much in the wet!