Make a donation

Author Topic: Edition 30 worth the extra?  (Read 5981 times)

Offline mgt

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Edition 30 worth the extra?
« on: August 28, 2018, 09:59:17 pm »
Currently in market for a mk5 - criteria would be sub 60k miles, DSG gearbox.

Edition 30s seem to be commanding c. £2k premium.

Has anyone gone from one to the other and can share their opinion?

Offline Shoduchi

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
Re: Edition 30 worth the extra?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2018, 11:21:23 am »
2k premium over a normal GTI is fair, comparing equally equipped cars. You'd have to spend much more to make a GTI equal to an Ed. 30 (stronger engine internals, K03 to K04 turbo conversion, specific body kit and interior bits).

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 675
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2018, 04:34:45 pm »
I would say the premium is worth it.  Great engine and fully colour coded, and of course lovely wheels  :smiley:

Edition 30s were mostly bought by enthusiasts because the average Joe didn't understand the differences back in the day, so this means they are usually better looked after  :happy2:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline colesey

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 89
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2018, 05:31:07 pm »
OK, two views so far both from ED30 owners. And now for something different......

When I ordered my car in 2006, I had the choice of regular GTi and ED30 (and also R32, which I passed on). I chose the stock GTi as I didn’t feel the ED30 was particularly special for a limited edition - certainly not in the way that the E30 M3 / Integrale / 964RS had been - and offered little meaningful improvement. The independent road tests of the era largely support that view

I do quite agree the colour coded body kit does look better, though chosing a black GTi minimises the impact of the black plastic. Also the bigger turbo will be better if revving out the engine on a regular basis or should you be intending to chase big bhp tuning. That said, if I were spending £10k on a nice GTi then I would look towards either a Pirelli (which is genuinely rare) or a GTi which someone had spent gazillions on modding with TTE420 / good brakes / suspension etc. Either that or spend £5k on a very well maintained regular GTi.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 05:36:25 pm by colesey »

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2018, 05:46:51 pm »
Agreed.  On the surface, it doesn't look like you're getting a lot extra for your money.  Everything is the same apart from the engine and seats pretty much.

VW did the same with the MK4 Anniversary.  They just stuck some BBS rims on it, a slightly bigger turbo, some cosmetic enhancements and called it a day.

They did make a mild effort with the Corrado VR6 in making the engine 100cc bigger than the Golf VR6, but that was it.

The only 2 times they made an effort to distinguish the special models from the bread and butter ones, were the Rallye and G60 Limited.   They were days when the engineers had a say in the matter.  Everything is marketing led now.  Yeah let's just slap some wheels on it, paint this, paint that......it's all people need for a limited edition.

The E30 M3, Integrale etc were steered by motorsports though.  VW were never really into that to the same degree.  Too conservative and profit orientated. The Rallye was their only attempt at a motorsport special, and it was a flop.  Underpowered and unsophisticated 4WD system.

I do like the coherent package of the ED30 though.  The styling and wheels work well, and the engine is far meatier past 5000rpm.

When I try and describe the ED30 to my car ignorant mates, I just say it's a GTI with an S3 engine in it, and they seem to get that.   As above, my main reasons for going ED30 were the looks, engine and better upkeep from previous owners.

Offline jonk710

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2018, 06:59:38 am »
I sold my R32 and bought an Edition 30. Hated it, sold it and bought another 32.
R32
Mk2 16v - Jonk
A6 dog chariot
Rallye under construction

Offline Dogma

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2018, 10:28:40 am »
I sold my R32 and bought an Edition 30. Hated it, sold it and bought another 32.

Lol. Sorry thats so funny

Hate is a strong word , so why the hate its more or less the same car ok r32 sounds awesome, but its heavy costs a lot more to run oh and its not that fast either.   
MK5 ED30

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2018, 11:27:38 am »

Maybe you drove an Ed. 30 stock. They come to life once remapped. :wink:

Offline Powervalve Nige

• Trader - 2014
  • Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 84
  • -Receive: 76
  • Don't get angry, get a beter argument
    • POWERVALVE
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2018, 11:34:51 am »
Fantastic car - destined for cult status  :happy2:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2018, 11:54:30 am »

Hate is a strong word , so why the hate its more or less the same car ok r32 sounds awesome, but its heavy costs a lot more to run oh and its not that fast either.

I've had both MK4 and MK5 R32s and went to an ED30  :happy2:

I know from experience how easily remapped GTIs/ED30s walk all over an R32, but it's not all about speed.  The car has a lot of character  :smiley:

Offline Dave J

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 45
  • -Receive: 63
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,55935.0.html
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2018, 04:26:20 pm »
Agree with Pudding - there's something about the R32 that is very characterful. I keep looking at the Mkiv R32 prices and they are just going to keep rising on decent ones.
I've not had one, but a guy had one in my set of flats when I had my 1.8t back in 2004 - could always tell when it was fired up!

I slightly disagree about the ED30 being 'just' a parts special. Yes, it has a VW/Audi parts bin engine, but wasn't it the first time that VW put an engine in a Golf from a brand ahead. The 25th anniversary was a lovely marketing & trim special car, but the engines in these on the mkiv chassis were still available in the  cheaper VW 180bhp 6spd / 1.9 PD versions. The 230bhp engine in the ED30 was never available in any other MK5, so that is why I feel the ED30 is worthy of respect of its place in VW history. However, VW could have fitted a diff, and then kept the power up at the S3's 265bhp from factory and would have had a hatch to battle the french & Ford offerings. They could have maybe just done a bit more...

Still, if you have access to a cheap mk5 GTI base and K04 engine, then you have a sleeper - the power & chassis without the dress-up (& cost premium)!

Edition 30 - no. 1387

Offline Dogma

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2018, 05:33:45 pm »

I know from experience how easily remapped GTIs/ED30s walk all over an R32, but it's not all about speed.  The car has a lot of character  :smiley:

I will stick with the vr6 thanks if we going talk about character that will win all day long...
MK5 ED30

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2018, 08:14:55 pm »
Agree with Pudding - there's something about the R32 that is very characterful. I keep looking at the Mkiv R32 prices and they are just going to keep rising on decent ones.
I've not had one, but a guy had one in my set of flats when I had my 1.8t back in 2004 - could always tell when it was fired up!

I slightly disagree about the ED30 being 'just' a parts special. Yes, it has a VW/Audi parts bin engine, but wasn't it the first time that VW put an engine in a Golf from a brand ahead. The 25th anniversary was a lovely marketing & trim special car, but the engines in these on the mkiv chassis were still available in the  cheaper VW 180bhp 6spd / 1.9 PD versions. The 230bhp engine in the ED30 was never available in any other MK5, so that is why I feel the ED30 is worthy of respect of its place in VW history. However, VW could have fitted a diff, and then kept the power up at the S3's 265bhp from factory and would have had a hatch to battle the french & Ford offerings. They could have maybe just done a bit more...

Still, if you have access to a cheap mk5 GTI base and K04 engine, then you have a sleeper - the power & chassis without the dress-up (& cost premium)!

The MK4 R32 is better than the MK5 imo, or it would be dynamically if it had a stiffer body shell, but it's styling is way nicer than the MK5.   And those epic Konig seats.  H&R springs and Bilstein B6s as standard  :happy2:   When I had mine I was seriously tempted to DSG convert it, but I opted to get a MK5 instead.   The MK5 is far better dynamically, but way more boring.

The ED30 is a great overall package imo.  It would have been nice if VW gave it unique suspension and gearing to elevate it above the GTI, but it's exactly the same in that respect.  Sometimes a car can be more than the sum of it's parts though.  Another good example of that is the Corrado VR6  :smiley:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2018, 08:15:18 pm »

I will stick with the vr6 thanks if we going talk about character that will win all day long...

Especially with a turbo attached  :drinking:

Offline Dogma

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2018, 10:52:58 pm »

Especially with a turbo attached  :drinking:

MK5 ED30