Make a donation

Author Topic: your thoughts on vwr solid engine mounts  (Read 8165 times)

Offline chrishalfpenny

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
your thoughts on vwr solid engine mounts
« on: August 08, 2010, 08:35:57 am »
i pick my new dsg mk5 r32 next week and im thinking about taking it down vwr to get there big brake kit and to fit my kw v3. i really want it to be a bit of a track slag but still be comfortable ish on the roads, ive been considering the solid engine mounts since speaking to matt at vwr but i am still not sure. so what i would really like to know is what are they like? Do they make a massive difference? Are they worth doing? and finally whats the ride like after there fitted?

Offline MAT ED30

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 81
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
Re: your thoughts on vwr solid engine mounts
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 08:48:57 am »
I think I might be the only one with all 3 race mounts  :evilgrin: and to be honest u can't move the engine at all no matter how hard u try or rev or abuse the car  :driver:, if you don't want to hear every single noise from the engine and drive train then these are are no but if like me want to hear everything then go for it as they are cool and noisy. The brakes are awesome and have been running the first ever set on a road car for about 4 months ish and again no matter what anyone says about these brakes they don't know anything about them as they have never owned a set and my verdict is get em on asap  :driver: so much bite and feel in the pedal and Uk made oh and tell Mat I told you to get the brakes  :drinking:
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 09:12:01 am by MAT ED30 »

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 08:50:09 am »
Oh and u will love the v3 too awesome coilovers

Offline jhtrophy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 5
  • Oh no it's a diesel
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 09:34:48 am »
he even has the vwr fleece :signLOL:
BMW 335d msport touring lci. Auto, estate and diesel! Oh no

Offline illyun

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 09:38:26 am »
I think I might be the only one with all 3 race mounts  :evilgrin:

Sorry Matt but I think I beat you to it... I had all 3 solid race spec aluminium mounts installed by Mark at VWR March 2009  :P  As for the ride, its true that it really does increase the noise level and you can feel the vibration as you move off.  It amplifies all the sounds from the engine bay and because I have an EVOMS CAI, it sounds like I am sitting next to Darth Vader at times  :grin:   The transformation it gives to the handling and movement of the car is nothing short of astounding.  No more wheel hop, the car just moves forward when you put your foot down with no lurching whether from standstill or driving on the motorway and turn the steering wheel left and right and you can see that the response had improved signficantly.  I also have a non-resonated Milltek and that can get boomy at motorway speeds so I may change back to the resonated pipe but apart from that I am happy with it.  

P.S. My wife has driven the car with our 1 year old and a 5 year old children in the car on long distance journeys - Ipswich to Birmingham - and around town and they are fine with it so stop being a wimp and get them  :signLOL:
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 09:42:05 am by illyun »

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 09:43:18 am »
Oh yeah I forgot u had them done  :laugh: ok then I have done more miles on em then  :P
he even has the vwr fleece :signLOL:

Love that fleece

Offline chrishalfpenny

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010, 05:51:29 pm »
brilliant looks like ill get them as well then  :happy2: the cars not my daily thats what the golf dervs for sooooo it should be alright, think i need to get it booked in asap lol just out of interest whats your opinion on brake colour red or blue the reason i say this is the r32 is red but they come with blue brakes from standard so i dont know whether to keep the brakes blue or to get the red ones to match the paint

Offline illyun

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2010, 07:25:54 pm »
If its an R32 then I'd go with blue personally.

However, its your car so if you want red, then go for it - just never ever bring it to a show like that though  :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

that last bit was a joke...   :innocent:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2010, 08:25:24 pm »
I've got the VWR 'Fast Road' full set of mounts and am extremely happy with them. Also, KW-V3's fitted and setup by VWR.

The ride is hard but not harsh and I love all the extra engine bay soundz.

Review:    http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,6086.0.html

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline chrishalfpenny

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2010, 08:35:55 pm »
cheers robin, and illyun i was thinking blue but wasnt sure if the red would look good against the blue :)

that last bit was a joke...   :innocent:
[/quote]

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2010, 09:13:13 pm »
I think I might be the only one with all 3 race mounts  :evilgrin:

Sorry Matt but I think I beat you to it... I had all 3 solid race spec aluminium mounts installed by Mark at VWR March 2009  :P  As for the ride, its true that it really does increase the noise level and you can feel the vibration as you move off.  It amplifies all the sounds from the engine bay and because I have an EVOMS CAI, it sounds like I am sitting next to Darth Vader at times  :grin:   The transformation it gives to the handling and movement of the car is nothing short of astounding.  No more wheel hop, the car just moves forward when you put your foot down with no lurching whether from standstill or driving on the motorway and turn the steering wheel left and right and you can see that the response had improved signficantly.  I also have a non-resonated Milltek and that can get boomy at motorway speeds so I may change back to the resonated pipe but apart from that I am happy with it. 

P.S. My wife has driven the car with our 1 year old and a 5 year old children in the car on long distance journeys - Ipswich to Birmingham - and around town and they are fine with it so stop being a wimp and get them  :signLOL:

No guys you are all wrong, i was the first in the world ever to get them, in fact i think i was the first in the universe, No i am wrong  again i was the first to get them even before the big bang.  :grin:

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2010, 09:20:24 pm »
The brakes are awesome and have been running the first ever set on a road car for about 4 months ish and again no matter what anyone says about these brakes they don't know anything about them as they have never owned a set and my verdict is get em on asap  :driver: so much bite and feel in the pedal and Uk made oh and tell Mat I told you to get the brakes  :drinking:

So how many problems have you had with them or how times have your brakes been back to VWR to be fixed / adjusted ?

Also these engine mounts, didn't one snap on your car?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 09:30:44 pm by SteveP »

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2010, 09:24:19 pm »

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2010, 09:29:00 pm »
Hungry Dave  :laugh:

As I have always said this site is designed to be independent and while me and the other moderators are here it will 100% remain so, this means there needs to be open and honest reporting/posting of the real experiences people have.  :happy2:
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 09:31:07 pm by SteveP »

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2010, 09:39:51 pm »
Hungry Dave  :laugh:

As I have always said this site is designed to be independent and while me and the other moderators are here it will 100% remain so, this means there needs to be open and honest reporting/posting of the real experiences people have.  :happy2:

Well said that man!
 :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats:

To the OP, I had BSH uprated  mounts on my Ed 30, and I absolutely hated them.  The noise that is craved by some detracted from the overall feel of the GTi in my opinion.

Be prepared to loose some of the refined, jack of all trades nature of the GTi.

All the above is just my opinion, my review is below.  I also felt as an engineer the BSH mounts were far better manufactured, again just my experienced qualified opinion. 

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,9477.0.html
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 09:46:46 pm by stokeballoon »