Make a donation

Author Topic: Edition 30 - what first ?  (Read 10587 times)

Offline illyun

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
Re: Edition 30 - what first ?
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2009, 12:46:38 pm »
Oh, almost forgot... get the exhaust first - you won't regret it  :happy2:  I don't have direct experience of APR, but their hardware seems overpriced to me... the intercooler comes to mind - almost the same as the S3 one but over twice the price and its not even the best one on the market.  I am not sure how their exhaust price compares to Milltek and Blueflame though...  I have seen/heard Blueflame on MatEd30's car at Santa Pod earlier this year and it sounded and looked very nice. 

I went with Milltek due to their long history extensive experience with VAG cars.  :happy2:

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2009, 01:31:13 pm »

But Robin you become a fanboy of certain companies and then defend them to the death only stopping short of getting there tattoo on your back, often when there is no justification. You get free products from Milltek, this alone makes your defending them lose all its integrity, whether you have a valid case or not.

....There you go again - Making assumptions about me "getting free products" - In fact the "free" parts are all replacements of parts which have needed replacement and are testament to the aftersales customer support and product guarantees which Milltek give!!

Every time some one posts a slight complaint about them you start your spiel which i guess would infuriate the person with the problem.

....I'm sorry if that's the way you continue to insist on interpreting my posts.

Didn't you bother to read what I highlit in blue?

Whether you can contact them for Steve or not, this does not detract from their poor customer service in this case.
So whatever you contrive to defend them the fact is they have not bothered to reply to him.  :smiley:

....Agreed, and poor customer service to a fellow forum member (and I like to think friend) is exactly why I bothered to offer to help (read my blue statement again please).

Illyun's reply #14 says it perfectly. And if I tell you that Milltek have had some serious server problems in recent months (emails lost etc), I expect you'll just accuse me of defending them. FFS, man, if you want to get results/responses, ditch your fancy expectations and communicate by every medium you can - Email, web, phone, visit on a show stand, it really doesn't matter two figs. The rest is up to you.

:smiley: [No hard feelings in this exchange btw]

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline GTIjames

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2009, 01:49:54 pm »
you could try going straight to a stage 2+ software just buy a HPFP and update the software seems to be working a treat for this chap with an s3, not had exhaust or intake done...

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=72956
GTI Edition 30 - Reflex Silver now gone but not forgotten - Cooper S JCW now.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2009, 02:13:49 pm »
^^^^
Very nicely written original post by warrencox in that link, James :happy2:

I wonder what changes there would be if he now did add a performance exhaust and intake.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline BeezerDiesel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2009, 02:29:01 pm »
Warren spends a bit of time over on cupranet where I've been a member for many years, and I have a lot of time for the guy although I don't personally know him. Deffo got some common sense!

When I spoke to Kev Hall at REVO some years ago when they had their mk5 GTI demo car he said that when they developed the first (stage 1) map they used the stock exhaust then went to Milltek to get a full TBE system put on. This gave a lower peak torque figure but a much flatter (and earlier peaking) torque map and a higher top end. I know things have moved on somewhat since 2005 but I reckon the same will hold true, particularly with the HPFP boosting the midrange a bit more too.
Andy
7R

Offline keith

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2009, 04:03:45 pm »
Personally I wouldn't touch the APR stuff for various reasons 1 being they are over priced as Illuyn said and 2  i believe they are one of several companies who pass on their wares to high profile forum users who in turn say how great they are and basically advertise for them I dont believe it happens on here but GolfmkV forum is a prime candidate.
I haven't been a fan of milltek for the past 2years as by Robin's own admission they have to keep honouring warranty issues which for my mind paying over £1k for something to continualy break isn't good. I acknowledge they have made inroads to sorting them but for me its worth checking other manufacturers out there.
I would contact superchips and ask them who they used in testing their maps as thats probably your best bet as thats what they have based figures on.
I currently run my maps on the standard exhaust but to my mind theres more to be had by getting an exhaust but as I am tight i want to make sure my hard earned is going to the right Co.

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2009, 04:10:58 pm »
At the end of the day Robin 99% of our members are not stupid   :rolleye: and can see through your unrealistic views on certain companies and why you have them. No matter what you or I say, they will already have formed there own opinion's.

I dont know why but this picture seems apt.  

Offline VC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 93
    • Very Cherry Stickers and Decals
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2009, 04:21:10 pm »
who's in the 1%?  :chicken:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2009, 04:22:36 pm »

I haven't been a fan of milltek for the past 2years as by Robin's own admission they have to keep honouring warranty issues which for my mind paying over £1k for something to continualy break isn't good. I acknowledge they have made inroads to sorting them but for me its worth checking other manufacturers out there.

....Just to say that it's only been 2 'warranty' issues in 4 years but we've together taken the opportunity to replace the parts with new ones needing testing. One of those issues was extremely minor and it was Milltek's proposal to replace it and not my request.

The rest of your post illustrates very well how we each develop our own individual likes and dislikes of both products and companies.

Although I openly favour Milltek (based on my own good experiences), hopefully people will have noticed that I haven't been trashing other exhaust companies and that, regardless of my enthusiasms or so-ineptly called "defences" of Milltek, I believe that people here can make their own minds up about their choices. All we do is network and share our individual findings, but I will always stand up for a balanced and fair approach.

:happy2:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2009, 04:35:32 pm »

At the end of the day Robin 99% of our members are not stupid   :rolleye: and can see through your unrealistic views on certain companies and why you have them.

....Unrealistic in your opinion. Does that bother me? - Nope, I respect you have a different opinion.

That you appear to seek to infer that I have ulterior motives? - You have judged me and refuse to change your mind - that's your problem, not mine.

No matter what you or I say, they will already have formed there own opinion's.

....I had already independently written the same in my reply to Keith's post. At last we can agree about something.

Next?

Offline keith

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2009, 04:38:16 pm »
 :happy2:
Dj horace who sometimes frequents these pages has had 3 warranty issues all dealt with.
So thats 5 between 2 people so you would see my concerns. My MKIV milltek was perfect and had no issues. And it ran with 230 ponies oh i miss that car.
I feel I am detracting from the original poster's question  :grin:

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2009, 04:39:00 pm »

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2009, 05:55:02 pm »
Firstly apologies to the OP as this has gone off topic from his original question but I need to have my time on the soap box now.

Next point I also had an initial issue with my Milltek (marks in the chrome on the tailpipe when it was delivered) which from the comments from the supplying dealer was reluctantly dealt with by Milltek.

....It's no secret that I enjoy a very close relationship with Milltek and that I am consequently in a position to sometimes help members of this forum to solve problems.

Please understand that that ^ is my underlying intention - Nothing more and nothing less - I get a little tired of being accused of constantly defending Milltek (and other companies), especially by yourself and Top Cat, regardless of the circumstances. It's a pity IF you can't see that as a result of my position I try all I can to help this community in this respect.

When a person tries to contact a company IMHO they wish to speak/deal with the people who will be doing work/providing the service you are paying for, and while I am sure you intentions are nothing but honorable in trying to help fellow forum members/enthusiasts to me it has the opposite effect.

If you are always going to take the opinion that every company you have these direct relationships with is always right and that mine or other members issues are always explainable or the cause of the member (which is what I feel you are trying to suggest with me that I should have to chase them) then we are going to end up in disagreement again.

....Agreed, and poor customer service to a fellow forum member (and I like to think friend) is exactly why I bothered to offer to help (read my blue statement again please).

Illyun's reply #14 says it perfectly. And if I tell you that Milltek have had some serious server problems in recent months (emails lost etc), I expect you'll just accuse me of defending them. FFS, man, if you want to get results/responses, ditch your fancy expectations and communicate by every medium you can - Email, web, phone, visit on a show stand, it really doesn't matter two figs. The rest is up to you.

What part of expecting a reply to a message I have received a delivery confirmation too is a fancy expectation??

If a company isn't able to support a method of communication then it's very very simple, don't publicise it on your website in BIG BOLD characters.

I work very long hours and to me email is my preferred method of communications as it's accessible as and went it suits me, 99% of all companies I deal is started/controlled via email/internet comms and I don't have an issue with any of them.

[No hard feelings in this exchange btw]

Ditto  :happy2:

Peskarik

« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2009, 06:28:02 pm »

If a company isn't able to support a method of communication then it's very very simple, don't publicise it on your website in BIG BOLD characters.

Unfortunately, that also applies to VWR. I've read the review of their red Golf in car magazine, where it was suggested that VWR could help out with tuning GTIs. I've read enthusiastic posts by members of this and sister forum (especially RedRobin's very enthusiastic posts), I went to their webpage where they say  
"We'd love to hear from you.
We'll endeavour to reply to every email sent as quickly as possible, but please leave us a few working days to respond"

which is not true, as some forum members learned. They've never replied to my emails, though I was prepared so spend my hard earned on their expensive products.

I do not blame them, racing is most important to them, but their advertising is utterly misleading. That is NOT how you do business.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2009, 06:45:18 pm »

If you are always going to take the opinion that every company you have these direct relationships with is always right and that mine or other members issues are always explainable or the cause of the member (which is what I feel you are trying to suggest with me that I should have to chase them) then we are going to end up in disagreement again.

....No, I do not take the view that every company I deal with is always right. In fact, part of my inclination to help is in the hope of improving relationships for everyone's mutual benefit. I wish that TC in particular could recognise that about me.

Suggesting that there are additional avenues for communication is not the same as suggesting that a communication issue is caused by (the fault of) the member - It's merely trying to achieve a happier outcome for all parties concerned. I see nothing wrong in chasing people to get results. It would seem that I have not such as high expectations of people as some others have, yet I still get results.

It doesn't matter at all whether we agree or disagree, either now or in the future. I don't think any less of you over such a difference of opinion or approach in these matters. It's good to openly and honestly discuss things and for others to read our various views and make up their own minds.

I'm sure that we'll all agree that enough has now been said and it's time to move on to different topics - At least in this thread.

:grouphug:
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 09:54:08 pm by RedRobin »