Make a donation

Author Topic: Diesel sounding GTI FSI-T Mk5 :(  (Read 27285 times)

Offline MrACD

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
Re: Diesel sounding GTI FSI-T Mk5 :(
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2015, 09:11:25 am »
I kind of have the same problem with my engine. I still don't know whether my cam chain and tensioner is ok or not tbh! I've just kind of ignored it for a while. It's not really loud in the cabin, you can definitely hear it chugging away but I'm.Not sure if it's the chain. When you lift the bonnet, there's a definitely a tick but it's high pitched, Im pretty sure that's the injectors.. but when you close the bonnet the pitch seems to get lower and it could be a diesely sound so i don't really know!

If it's not overly loud in the cabin then think you might be ok or it's showing signs of wear.

When I open the bonnet you can hear the the ticking from the injectors but in my cabin you can hear the low down 'diesel' clack but not the high pitched stuff.

When it is cold you can hardly hear the engine ticking over at all, which is how it should be when warm too :)
2005 Gti - 5dr, DSG, Black
2003 Toyota MR2 Roadster, Chilli Red
2005 Honda VFR800 Vtec

Offline Pesky jones

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 19
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2015, 03:02:49 pm »
I kind of have the same problem with my engine. I still don't know whether my cam chain and tensioner is ok or not tbh! I've just kind of ignored it for a while. It's not really loud in the cabin, you can definitely hear it chugging away but I'm.Not sure if it's the chain. When you lift the bonnet, there's a definitely a tick but it's high pitched, Im pretty sure that's the injectors.. but when you close the bonnet the pitch seems to get lower and it could be a diesely sound so i don't really know!

If it's not overly loud in the cabin then think you might be ok or it's showing signs of wear.

When I open the bonnet you can hear the the ticking from the injectors but in my cabin you can hear the low down 'diesel' clack but not the high pitched stuff.

When it is cold you can hardly hear the engine ticking over at all, which is how it should be when warm too :)

I think/hope mine is just the injectors.. I mean you can hear a chug when at standstill but its not realllly loud in the cabin. I open the bonnet and lean in close to the fuel pump area which is also the cam chain area and it seems to be just the injectors. There’s no low pitch clacking when I lean in there. Here’s a video…what do you think? I’ve warmed the engine right up by this point.

=132097897&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0]http://s1291.photobucket.com/user/triellymtb/media/Mobile%20Uploads/VIDEO0181_zpswwabdohn.mp4.html?filters[user]=132097897&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 03:16:57 pm by Peskyjones »

Offline dazza

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 190
  • Coding Boffin
    • Email
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=ks7ebk3vugfca1n0vfsp8fhnit&/topic,90967.msg917089.html#msg917089
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2015, 03:11:26 pm »
Have a listen of this before and after

before http://daz.co/audio/open.mp3

after http://daz.co/audio/carnew1.mp3

05 | Tornado Red | DSG

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2015, 03:19:22 pm »
I can't really tell the difference apart from the whole audio is quieter? What do you make of my video?

Offline dazza

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 190
  • Coding Boffin
    • Email
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=ks7ebk3vugfca1n0vfsp8fhnit&/topic,90967.msg917089.html#msg917089
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2015, 03:56:00 pm »
In the first one you cant really hear the injectors as its drowned out by the diesel sound.

I don't want to make a comment that could cost another member money.

05 | Tornado Red | DSG

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2015, 09:52:53 pm »
I can still hear the injectors quite well in the first.

I don't think mine sounds that unsimilar to your one after the fix to be honest.

Offline boungle1

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2015, 11:13:41 pm »
I had same issue with my 2.0 tfsi sounding like a diesel, at 85,000
Even took it to a VW garage and they said some are like this. I then ran it for a bit still not happy with it so replace cam chain and tensioner and then was as quiet as they should be
Neil young

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2015, 09:46:57 am »
I had same issue with my 2.0 tfsi sounding like a diesel, at 85,000
Even took it to a VW garage and they said some are like this. I then ran it for a bit still not happy with it so replace cam chain and tensioner and then was as quiet as they should be

Price?

Offline MrACD

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2015, 03:40:28 pm »
Quick update on this - I've been away the last 10 days and it is still in the garage.  Not the happiest but to be fair to the dealers they are doing all the work so not too bad.

So far - They have diagnosed the high pressure valve switch on the air con and have replaced that (not sure on a re-gas but I will ask the question) so I imagine that is that done.

Also, they agree it is the chain/tensioners to blame for the 'diesel' rattle so have all the covers off to test it and replace the necessary.

So hopefully, not too long before I can have it back and enjoy it!

The cam follower, Diverter and PCV I will test myself when I get it back and replace as necessary :)
2005 Honda VFR800 Vtec

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2015, 08:42:25 am »
Good news about the air con.

Hopefully they replace the chain/tensioner for you. Let us know whether they do the adjustor as well!

Offline MrACD

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2015, 09:52:06 am »
Good news about the air con.

Hopefully they replace the chain/tensioner for you. Let us know whether they do the adjustor as well!

Will do, isn't that a really expensive item the adjuster?
2005 Honda VFR800 Vtec

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2015, 10:05:37 am »
Yup!

Offline MrACD

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2015, 01:24:04 pm »
Further update -

They have called and said that it is the chain and the tensioner that is at fault and they are just getting authorisation to change it all.

Whether that includes the adjuster he is not sure but as long as the issue is done it's not a great concern.
2005 Honda VFR800 Vtec

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2015, 01:49:18 pm »
Be interested to know how much just chain and tensioner would be inclouding labour if anyone has any idea

Offline MrACD

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2015, 08:20:01 pm »
So once again, something has turned up - for the worse.  I am kinda getting to the point where I might force their hand for my money back.

Got a call off the AA, thought that's strange... It's the AA Warranty Car Dept.

They wanted to know when it went wrong and what the symptoms are... EH? - The dealership are doing the job through the AA Warranty they gave me.

So now I explained, she typed it all down and said she has all the costings etc for the parts and labour and she will speak to the dealers now.

I left it an hour and called them, they said 'Yes we are dealing with the AA but now they want us to send them photo's of the chain and the tensioner'

So I said to him, hold on this is going to hold up the process even more... Bearing in mind I bought the car outright 3 weeks ago and have had one trip home and back to them in it.

I can see it now, the warranty will say it's wear and tear and refuse and the dealers will ask me for a contribution...  I hope they don't because I'll be straight up there with my back up.

Sick to death of it now, all I want is a car that works how it should so I can enjoy it.  :sad1:
2005 Honda VFR800 Vtec